In the present day we’re making Eggs in Purgatory… aka the last word breakfast/brunch/dinner recipe! This southern Italian impressed dish incorporates a hearty tomato sauce base, completely cooked eggs, and feta and contemporary chives on prime. Serve with loads of crusty bread to dip within the egg yolks.
Eggs in Purgatory Recipe
It’s no secret I like eggs! After all, I bake with them. However I additionally love them on hearty sandwiches, in breakfast casseroles, and on prime of ramen noodle soup! I simply can’t get sufficient. And after I was pregnant with Remi my egg obsession exploded to the purpose the place I used to be consuming them each.single.day!!!
And whereas I’ll truthfully eat eggs in virtually any type, my favourite approach to get pleasure from them is poached in marinara sauce. The hearty tomato base is loaded with contemporary garlic and is simply barely spicy due to crushed purple pepper flakes. And the eggs are cooked simply till the whites are set, so the yolks are nonetheless runny! This hearty and semi-healthy dish is SO flavorful and simply begging to be served with crusty bread.
What You’ll Want
- Olive Oil: I don’t counsel subbing a special oil right here. But it surely doesn’t have to be fancy olive oil! Only one you benefit from the taste of.
- Garlic: Minced! Be at liberty to chop the quantity a bit if you happen to’re not an enormous garlic fan.
- Crushed Pink Pepper Flakes: Improve or lower the quantity used based mostly in your desire.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Or for a chunkier sauce, you should utilize an equal quantity of canned diced tomatoes. However I desire the feel crushed tomatoes brings.
- Salt and Pepper: For seasoning and spice.
- Contemporary Basil: Don’t sub dried right here!
- Contemporary Parsley: Ditto what is claimed above! Contemporary is a should.
- Yellow Onion: However a white or purple onion will work in a pinch, however this can barely change the flavour.
- Pink Bell Pepper: Be sure to take away the entire seeds! And don’t sub a inexperienced pepper right here, as the flavour is not going to be the identical.
- Eggs: I counsel utilizing giant eggs, however small or medium will work. They’ll simply prepare dinner barely quicker. So maintain that in thoughts.
- Feta Cheese: I counsel shopping for a complete block of feta after which crumbling it your self. Not a fan of feta? Use Parmesan cheese as a substitute!
- Chives: Contemporary chives are so fairly and add a pop of freshness. However if you happen to can’t discover them, sprinkle with freshly chopped basil or parsley.
- Crusty Bread: The crustier the higher! For dunking in these runny egg yolks!
Let’s Make Eggs in Purgatory
- Make your spicy marinara sauce! Let it simmer for not less than half-hour for optimum taste. You are able to do this as much as 3 days prematurely, then barely reheat earlier than utilizing.
- Subsequent, warmth some olive oil in a big cast-iron skillet. Add within the crushed purple pepper onion, and pepper and prepare dinner, stirring, till softened.
- Stir within the garlic, then pour within the spicy marinara sauce. Improve the warmth to medium excessive and convey to a simmer.
- Rigorously crack an egg into a big measuring cup, taking care to not break the yolk. Repeat with all eggs.
- Utilizing the again of a spoon, create divots within the sauce combination. Then add an egg into every gap. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. You’ll be able to positively prepare dinner roughly eggs relying in your desire.
- Prepare dinner till the egg whites have set, however the yolks are nonetheless runny, about 6 to eight minutes. Or till your required texture is achieved. You’ll be able to put a lid on the pan for a extra set egg.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta and chives, then scoop the eggs and sauce into bowls and serve HOT! Or, eat straight from the pan. I’ve carried out this earlier than with zero regrets.
Extra Breakfast/Brunch Egg Recipes:
Eggs in Purgatory.
Eggs in Purgatory… aka the last word breakfast/brunch/dinner recipe! This southern Italian impressed dish incorporates a hearty tomato sauce base, completely cooked eggs, and feta and contemporary chives on prime. Serve with loads of crusty bread to dip within the egg yolks.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Course Breakfast, Dinner
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (57ml) olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed purple pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup contemporary basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup contemporary parsley leaves chopped
For the Eggs:
- 2 Tablespoons (14ml) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed purple pepper flakes
- 1 giant giant yellow onion diced
- 1 giant purple bell pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus extra for the eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus extra for the eggs
- 6 giant eggs
- 3 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 2 teaspoons contemporary chives finely chopped
- 1 loaf crusty bread sliced or torn, for serving
For the Sauce:
Warmth the oil in a big saucepan over medium-heat. Add garlic and prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring steadily, till garlic is aromatic. Add crushed purple pepper, and stir to mix.
Add within the crushed tomatoes and stir nicely. Convey the combination to a boil, then cut back warmth to medium and simmer, stirring often, for half-hour.
Combine within the salt, pepper, and contemporary herbs. Prepare dinner for one more 5 minutes. Style and alter seasonings, if wanted. Take away from warmth. Use within the recipe under.
For the Eggs:
Warmth the olive oil in a big 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-heat. Add within the crushed purple pepper and prepare dinner for a minute. Add within the onion and prepare dinner for five minutes, or till barely softened. Add within the bell pepper and proceed cooking, stirring often, for five extra minutes, or till the pepper has barely softened.
Stir within the garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute, or till aromatic. Then pour in the entire spicy marinara sauce. Improve the warmth to medium-high and convey the combination to a simmer. Then cut back to medium-low.
Rigorously break the eggs into a big measuring cup, taking care to not break the yolks.
Utilizing the again of a spoon, create (6) 2-inch divots within the sauce combination. Gently pour 1 egg into every gap. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
Prepare dinner over medium-low warmth till the egg whites have set, however the yolks are nonetheless runny, about 8 minutes. Should you discover your egg whites aren’t setting, you possibly can place a lid on prime of the pan to assist them alongside.
Take away the pan from warmth. Sprinkle all the pan with crumbled feta and chives. You may as well garnish with additional parsley or basil, if desired.
Then fastidiously scoop the eggs and sauce out of the pan and into bowls. Serve with crusty bread!
Key phrase eggs, marinara sauce, poached eggs