This straightforward, mild recipe for wholesome Shrimp Pad Thai is easy and filling. Yow will discover all of the elements it’s good to make it in a normal grocery retailer, and when you apply just a little hustle, your complete dish might be prepared in quarter-hour flat.
This recipe will without end transport me again to my multiweek journey by Thailand and Vietnam with Ben.
It was the journey of a lifetime (which you’ll learn extra about right here).
Thailand had at all times been a rustic on my bucket record.
It’s a spot of beautiful surroundings, heat hospitality, and, after all, epic meals (this Vegetarian Pad Thai is one other dish impressed by my travels).
Pad Thai is a recipe that saved us many occasions on our travels (being a vacationer actually works up an urge for food), and this wholesome shrimp pad Thai recipe has saved dinnertime on multiple event stateside.
5 Star Evaluation
“This recipe is completely scrumptious!! I shall be making this once more very quickly! The flavors all got here collectively so properly. Yum!”
— Morgan —
I personally assume that is the BEST shrimp pad Thai recipe as a result of:
- It’s a better-than-takeout recipe that’s additionally higher for you. Gluten-free, diminished sodium, and LOADED with succulent shrimp and veggies, that is shrimp pad Thai on the lighter aspect.
- It’s straightforward to prep, requiring solely a single pan and a pointy knife for chopping.
- It’s fast to cook dinner. Do-it-yourself pad Thai in your desk in quarter-hour? Sure, please!
Serve it as is, with a aspect of Air Fryer Tofu or Rooster Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce as an appetizer.
Find out how to Make Wholesome Shrimp Pad Thai
This wholesome shrimp pad Thai recipe might be in your desk quicker than supply and be a lot kinder to your physique too.
Filled with excellent taste and with leftovers that reheat like a dream, this recipe will shortly develop into a household favourite. (This Panang Curry is one other household favourite within the making.)
- Shrimp. Peeled and deveined medium or massive shrimp make prepping this recipe a breeze. Use contemporary or thawed frozen shrimp. (This Garlic Shrimp Pasta is one other frozen shrimp favourite!)
Make sure you rinse and pat the shrimp dry earlier than cooking for finest outcomes.
- Rice Noodles. The standard selection for pad Thai recipes (and this Pork Stir Fry). Added bonus: they’re gluten free!
Whereas rice noodles are genuine in shrimp pad thai, you can additionally go for shrimp pad thai with ramen noodles when you don’t want this dish to be gluten free.
Shrimp pad thai with zucchini noodles can be one other tasty low-carb twist.
- Eggs. Pad Thai isn’t the identical and not using a little scrambled egg stirred into the noodles.
- Bean Sprouts + Carrots. Add superior crunchy taste and further diet to the dish.
For those who can not discover contemporary bean sprouts (my grocery solely carries them sporadically), you may swap rinsed, canned bean sprouts (accessible within the Asian meals part of many grocery shops) or substitute one other contemporary vegetable you take pleasure in (like purple bell pepper).
Notice that canned bean sprouts have a extra fermented style, so if this bothers you, I’d suggest omitting them.
- Inexperienced Onions + Garlic. Contribute one other layer of taste and depth to this Thai-inspired recipe.
- Peanuts. Pad Thai’s good associate for crunch, added saltiness, and delightfully refined peanut taste. (They’re additionally a tasty technique to garnish this Gradual Cooker Thai Peanut Rooster.)
- Cilantro + Lime. Give the dish colour, freshness, and a few acidity to stability the salty fish sauce and soy sauce.
- Rice Vinegar. A gentle, flippantly candy vinegar, that is an inexpensive Asian ingredient that’s a game-changer in terms of recreating that takeout taste.
- Fish Sauce. Important for an genuine pad Thai sauce. It does NOT style like fish and is extensively accessible.
- Soy Sauce. I at all times go for a low-sodium soy sauce in all of my Properly Plated Asian recipes.
Examine your labels fastidiously if you wish to make shrimp pad Thai gluten free since each condiments historically comprise gluten. For the soy sauce, go for tamari which is often proper subsequent to the soy sauce within the Asian meals aisle.
- Floor Chili Sauce. Additionally referred to as sambal oelek. For simply the correct quantity of warmth. Regulate to fit your preferences. (I really like including additional garlic chili sauce to an Egg Roll in a Bowl.)
A special sizzling sauce reminiscent of Sriracha or purple pepper flakes may very well be substituted when you don’t preserve garlic chili sauce in your pantry.
- Honey. For a contact of sweetness that balances and marries all of the flavors collectively. Conventional pad Thai requires palm sugar, however honey works properly as an on a regular basis swap.
- Cook dinner the rice noodles, drain and rinse. Whisk collectively the sauce elements.
- In a wok, saute the shrimp till pink, add the garlic, and toss within the cooked noodles.
- Push the contents of the wok to 1 aspect, then scramble the eggs on the empty aspect. Add the sauce and stir every part collectively.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro, then serve heat with lime wedges. ENJOY!
Severely, don’t skip the lime wedges. There’s one thing a couple of squeeze of contemporary lime juice that makes do-it-yourself pad Thai style prefer it got here straight out of your favourite Thai restaurant.
- To Retailer. Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat gently within the microwave with a couple of tablespoons of water or hen broth to maintain the noodles from drying out.
What to Serve with Shrimp Pad Thai
View all recipes
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Nonstick Skillet. An incredible different to a wok that can nonetheless get the job completed.
- Wok. For those who love getting ready Asian-style recipes at residence (like my Vegetable Lo Mein), a wok is a unbelievable funding.
- Chef’s Knife. This knife was an funding, however it’s the most effective knife I’ve ever owned. It is a nice inexpensive chef’s knife possibility.
The Finest Wok
This wok’s hard-anodized aluminum development makes it very sturdy and simple to scrub.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a score under within the feedback and let me understand how you favored the recipe.
No must e-book a aircraft ticket.
This wholesome shrimp pad Thai is all you want for a one-way digital journey!
Continuously Requested Questions
What’s Fish Sauce?
Fish sauce is a conventional Asian condiment comprised of fermented fish or krill. It has an intense, concentrated taste paying homage to the salty sea. A little bit bit goes a great distance and takes any Thai recipe (e.g., Chickpea Curry) to the subsequent degree.
What’s a Good Substitute for Fish Sauce?
For my part, nothing can really replicate the style and aroma of fish sauce. Nevertheless, it’s possible you’ll swap for added soy sauce when you can not discover it at your native retailer or don’t want to buy a whole bottle. Different doable swaps embrace oyster sauce, coconut aminos, tamari, or Worcestershire sauce (however actually, when you like Thai meals, decide up a bottle of fish sauce!).
Can I Make Pad Thai with Rooster?
Sure! For those who favor to make this pad Thai recipe with hen, swap the shrimp for bite-sized hen items. You’ll want to observe the directions, cooking the hen for a number of additional minutes earlier than including the noodles and garlic to make sure it’s absolutely cooked.
What’s the Conventional Meat for Pad Thai?
Shrimp and hen are maybe the commonest and genuine meats in pad Thai. Nevertheless, you’ll additionally see pad Thai noodles made with additional agency tofu as a pad Thai possibility with vegetarian protein.
For the Pad Thai Stir-Fry:
- 4 ounces dry brown rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons additional virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 8 ounces medium or massive shrimp peeled and deveined (you should utilize both contemporary shrimp or thawed frozen shrimp—if utilizing thawed, flippantly pat the shrimp dry previous to cooking)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 massive eggs
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts* (see be aware)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated carrots
- 2 massive inexperienced onions (or 3 small) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts finely chopped
- 1/4 cup contemporary cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce** gluten free if wanted (see be aware)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar (I used seasoned)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari for gluten free
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey plus further 1-2 teaspoons to style
- 1-3 teaspoons floor chile sauce (sambal oelek) or chili garlic sauce
Cook dinner the rice noodles in line with bundle directions. They need to be mushy however not mushy. Drain and rinse below cool water.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively the sauce elements: fish sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce. For those who favor a sweeter pad thai, add further honey (or perhaps a little brown sugar). For spicier, add further chili paste.
Warmth the oil in a big non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high warmth. Add the shrimp and saute simply till the shrimp begins to show pink, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and noodles. Stir constantly to coat the noodles and shrimp with the garlic, then push the elements within the skillet over to 1 aspect of the pan.
Crack the eggs into the empty aspect of the skillet. Break aside the yolk with the spatula and let cook dinner for 30 seconds, till simply starting to set. Stir the egg in with the noodles. Stir within the sauce.
Add the bean sprouts, carrots, and chopped inexperienced onions and let cook dinner till the bean sprouts are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Sprinkle on the peanuts and cilantro. Serve instantly with lime wedges.
- TO STORE: Preserve leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3-4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat gently within the microwave with a splash of water or hen broth to maintain the noodles from drying out.
- *For those who can not discover contemporary bean sprouts (my grocery solely carries them sporadically), you may swap rinsed, canned bean sprouts (accessible within the Asian meals part of many grocery shops) or substitute one other contemporary vegetable of your selection. The canned bean sprouts have a extra fermented style, so if this bothers you, I’d suggest omitting them.
- **Fish sauce is offered within the Asian meals part of most grocery shops. I HIGHLY suggest utilizing it, because it provides necessary saltiness and irreplaceable Thai taste to the dish. For those who should make a substitution, use further low-sodium soy sauce.
Serving: 1(of three)Energy: 400kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 23gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 7gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 259mgPotassium: 408mgFiber: 5gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 4113IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 99mgIron: 2mg
Be part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Return (nearly) to Bangkok with me if you strive considered one of these different tasty Thai-inspired Asian recipes:
Thai Cashew Rooster
View all recipes