Takeout will get a wholesome makeover with this straightforward Egg Roll in a Bowl. Made with floor turkey or rooster and broccoli slaw, it’s an unstoppably tasty 30-minute meal good for lunch, dinner, or a late-night snack.
Think about your favourite Asian takeout egg roll, however as a substitute of limiting your self to 1 or two to save lots of room for the principle occasion, this delish egg roll in a bowl is the principle occasion.
This recipe takes all of the star gamers in a basic egg roll filling and turns them into a quick, wholesome meal that’s the right straightforward weeknight dinner (it’s phenomenal leftover too).
- Juicy meat (or tofu, if you happen to desire your egg roll in a bowl vegetarian).
- Zippy recent ginger and garlic (key for this Wholesome Rooster Stir Fry too).
- Salty, umami-factor soy sauce (or coconut aminos in order for you a keto, paleo, gluten free, or Whole30 egg roll in a bowl).
- Colourful, skinny strips of recent veggies for diet and crunch (if you happen to love vegetable-focused stir fries, do that Vegetarian Pad Thai).
To take pleasure in, merely pile the delicious egg roll filling over your favourite rice (or cauliflower rice if you happen to desire a low carb egg roll in a bowl), seize your fork or chopsticks, and DIVE IN!
5 Star Assessment
“Love this dish, I’ve continued to make it a number of instances and it by no means disappoints. My entire household loves it, even my younger kids. Easy, straightforward, wholesome, and quick to place collectively.”
— Carissa —
Learn how to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
That is the BEST egg roll in a bowl recipe! It takes all the very best elements of an egg roll and sautés them collectively in a single pan in lower than half-hour.
It’s quicker than supply and so a lot better for you, too (like my Cauliflower Fried Rice)!
- Floor Turkey. Historically egg rolls are made with floor pork. Since I wished to make my model more healthy, I made this egg roll in a bowl with floor turkey as a substitute.
You too can make your egg roll in a bowl with floor rooster or lean floor beef if you happen to like. See the “recipe diversifications” field beneath for vegan and vegetarian choices.
- Broccoli Slaw. Apart from being nutritious, broccoli slaw (just like common cabbage coleslaw combine however with shredded broccoli added) brings a pleasant crunch that replaces the standard crispy, fried egg roll wrapper. (It’s additionally the core ingredient for this Asian Noodle Salad.)
- Carrots. Sure, you need to use those that come pre-shredded in these cute little luggage.
Be at liberty so as to add or swap different in-season veggies to your egg roll bowls. Thinly sliced pink bell peppers, zucchini ribbons, or edamame would all be tasty additions to contemplate.
- Mushrooms. Even if you happen to don’t love mushrooms, I extremely suggest including them to this recipe. Like my Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, the mushrooms’ style will not be distinguished. As a result of they’re finely chopped, their texture isn’t noticeable both. Mushrooms have a wealthy, distinctive savoriness that deepens the flavour of this egg roll in a bowl.
- Inexperienced Onions. For a bit of zip and added chunk.
- Chili Paste. Garlic chili paste or sambal oelek offers this straightforward egg roll in a bowl recipe simply the correct amount of kick.
Sriracha sauce or crushed pink pepper flakes are additionally appropriate options for chili paste. Regardless of the ingredient you select, be happy to regulate the quantity to fit your desk’s preferences.
- Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar. The unbelievable 4. Upon getting these readily available, you’ll be able to garnish any of those wholesome stir fry recipes.
- Sesame Oil. GAME CHANGER proper right here. A drizzle of this golden nectar from sesame seeds provides an intense, nutty taste to any Asian-inspired recipe.
Do You Put Eggs In Egg Roll In a Bowl?
Regardless of the identify, an egg roll in a bowl doesn’t include an egg! Conventional egg roll recipes name for an egg within the dough, however most fashionable recipes use rice paper for simplicity.
This egg roll in a bowl eliminates the wrapper utterly. In case you like, you’ll be able to combine a scrambled egg into the filling, nevertheless. See Selfmade Fried Rice for egg cooking suggestions.
- Whisk collectively soy sauce and cornstarch, stir within the turkey, and let marinate whilst you prep the greens.
- Brown the turkey in a wok or deep pan.
- Add the onions and mushrooms.
- Cook dinner till softened.
- Add the slaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic to the combination and cook dinner till tender. Toss with the remaining components, pile over rice (or quinoa) and ENJOY!
- To Make Whole30, Paleo, or Keto. For a keto, paleo, and whole30 egg roll in a bowl, swap coconut aminos for the soy sauce and arrowroot starch for the cornstarch. (This Asian Cabbage Salad can also be Whole30.)
- To Make Keto. Comply with the above instructions for Whole30.
- To Make Vegetarian. Swap the meat for crumbled extra-firm tofu. Press the water out of the tofu first, then crumble it proper into the blending bowl with the soy sauce and cornstarch. (Make sure you try this Normal Tso’s Tofu too.)
- To Make Gluten Free. Use tamari or coconut aminos as a substitute of soy sauce.
- Korean Beef Bowl. A equally enjoyable, quick, and scrumptious bowl recipe.
- Cabbage Stir Fry. A scrumptious, equally straightforward spin on this reader favourite.
- To Retailer. The filling for egg roll in a bowl lasts within the fridge for as much as 4 days in an hermetic storage container. You may retailer the rice by itself or portion the whole lot collectively into particular person serving containers for meal prep all through the week.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftover egg roll in a bowl within the microwave or in a wok over medium-low warmth. I discover the leftovers lose a few of their zip, so I prefer to high mine with just a few shakes of additional soy sauce.
- To Freeze. Place leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating as directed above.
In case you neglect to thaw your frozen leftovers, you’ll be able to reheat them slowly within the microwave or on the range with a splash of water (I did this, and it was effective!).
For a scrumptious meal low in carbs, wrap the filling inside lettuce cups. You possibly can additionally high the leftovers with a fried egg for a tasty meal.
What to Goes with an Egg Roll In a Bowl
View all recipes
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Small Whisk. No extra splashing your components everywhere in the counter with this small whisk.
- Wok. A wok will not be essential to make this recipe, nevertheless it’s a fantastic funding. You can also make this recipe in any massive skillet.
- Chopsticks. In case you recurrently make Asian recipes at dwelling, investing in a beautiful pair of washable, reusable chopsticks is properly value it.
The Finest Wok
I’ve had this one for a few years, and I nonetheless adore it. Its non-stick, anodized aluminum development heats evenly for making an ideal stir fry.
Did you make this recipe?
Go away a score beneath within the feedback and let me understand how you appreciated the recipe.
Go forward and have seconds. This egg roll in a bowl recipe is mild on energy and BIG on unbelievable style!
Incessantly Requested Questions
Can You Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl Vegan?
Sure. To make a vegan egg roll in a bowl, swap the turkey for cooked and crumbled tofu, tempeh, or a plant-based floor vegan “meat”.
Can I Serve with Noodles As a substitute of Rice?
Positive! Whereas I often go for brown rice or cauliflower rice, you possibly can additionally serve the egg roll filling over cooked rice noodles or soba noodles.
What Can I Use As a substitute of Rice Vinegar?
In case you don’t have rice vinegar in your pantry, you possibly can attempt swapping for apple cider vinegar or pink wine vinegar. The flavour might be a bit of completely different however nonetheless scrumptious! Use much less of the opposite sorts of vinegar, as they’re stronger.
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce* divided (see observe)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (use arrowroot starch to make Paleo, Whole30, or Keto)
- 16 ounces 90% or 93% lean floor turkey (to make vegetarian, swap crumbled extra-firm tofu; press it dry first)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small bunch inexperienced onions divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, grapeseed oil, or comparable neutrally flavored high-temperature cooking oil (olive oil will smoke, so I counsel certainly one of these different oils as a substitute)
- 1 (12-ounce) bag broccoli coleslaw
- 1 cup grated carrots freshly grated from peeled carrots or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon recent ginger minced (or one teaspoon floor ginger, although the flavour might be much less brilliant)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons recent chili paste (sambal oelek) or scorching sauce of selection plus extra to style
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon floor black pepper
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk collectively 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and cornstarch with a fork. Add the turkey, breaking up the meat and stirring to coat with the sauce. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, chop the mushrooms very finely and mince the garlic. Thinly slice the inexperienced onions. If any of your different components will not be but prepped, do it now.
Warmth a wok or massive, deep sauté pan over excessive warmth. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the marinated turkey and cook dinner, breaking the meat into small bits with a heatproof spatula, till it is now not pink and absolutely cooked by, about 5 minutes.
Add the inexperienced onions (reserve a small handful for serving) and mushrooms.
Cook dinner till the mushrooms soften, about 2 extra minutes.
Scale back the warmth to medium-low. Add the broccoli coleslaw, carrots, ginger, and garlic to the combination. Stir-fry for two minutes, till the greens are softened.
Add the rice vinegar, chili paste, sesame oil, black pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, then stir to mix. Proceed to cook dinner for 1 extra minute. Style and add extra soy sauce, scorching sauce, or black pepper as desired. Scoop into serving bowls (over brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice if desired). Serve scorching, sprinkled with extra inexperienced onions.
- *INGREDIENT NOTE: Use coconut aminos to make this egg roll in a bowl Keto, Paleo, Whole30, or gluten free. Tamari is one other appropriate different for these needing a gluten-free egg roll in a bowl with out soy sauce.
- TO STORE: Retailer the egg roll filling in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 4 days. You may retailer the rice by itself or portion the whole lot collectively into particular person serving containers for a meal-prep strategy.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers within the microwave or in a wok over medium-low warmth. I discover the leftovers lose a few of their zip, so I prefer to high mine with just a few shakes of additional soy sauce.
- TO FREEZE: Place leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then reheat as directed above.
Serving: 1(of 4), about 1 1/2 cups with out riceEnergy: 263kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 24gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 5gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 84mgPotassium: 664mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 5495IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Quick, straightforward, and versatile. Listed here are a few of my different favourite wholesome stir fry recipes:
Tofu Stir Fry
Thai Cashew Rooster
Vegetable Lo Mein
View all recipes