Shepherd’s Pie, a wealthy, savory casserole of floor meat and greens baked with mashed potatoes on prime, was certainly one of my favourite dinners as a child (principally for the potatoes). Right now I adore it much more for the hearty filling, particularly immediately’s succulent recipe!
Technically talking, what my mother cooked for us was cottage pie, for the reason that distinction between shepherd’s pie and cottage pie is the form of meat used.
- Shepherd’s pie makes use of floor lamb, whereas cottage pie makes use of floor beef.
- More often than not within the U.S., we are saying “shepherd’s pie” for each.
- Whereas lamb is likely to be essentially the most conventional shepherd’s pie, I’ve made it each methods, and each are delish! Be happy to make use of whichever meat you or your loved ones choose.
Historical past of Shepherd’s Pie
The origin of shepherd’s pie can’t be traced to any particular particular person or place, however we all know it bought its begin someplace in the UK. It was created as a method to repurpose leftovers and scale back waste.
Shepherd’s pie is known as shepherd’s pie as a result of it’s sometimes made with lamb meat.
Tips on how to Make Shepherd’s Pie
Don’t let the stodgy sound of floor meat and potatoes idiot you—this shepherd’s pie with gravy is delicious.
I’d proudly serve it to a gaggle of associates and know everybody could be happy.
Plus, as recipes like Floor Beef and Potatoes and Instantaneous Pot Pot Roast show, meat and potatoes will be fairly darn unbelievable!
- To make this a straightforward shepherd’s pie, I used a bag of frozen peas and carrots, as an alternative of chopping the veggies myself, which cuts down on prep time.
- When you make the mashed potatoes forward, you’ll be able to have it within the oven even quicker.
- The shepherd’s pie seasoning contains garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and thyme. They’re easy and but make all of the distinction in making a wealthy shepherd’s pie filling.
- Mashed Potato Topping. Luscious mashed potatoes are combined with butter, Parmesan, salt and pepper, milk (or half-and-half), and an egg yolk for a topping that’s wealthy, creamy, and completely scrumptious! (Potato lovers, try my Crockpot Mashed Potatoes too.)
- Floor Beef. Full of iron, protein, and nutritional vitamins, floor beef helps make this shepherd’s pie hearty.
A traditional shepherd’s pie recipe is often made with floor lamb, so you’ll be able to completely swap it for the bottom beef should you choose. (Lamb is our favourite!)
- Onion + Garlic. Highly effective taste builders.
- Tomato Paste. Provides wealthy, concentrated tomato taste to the meat combination.
- All-Goal Flour. Helps thicken the meat combination, making a gravy-like consistency.
- Beef Broth. Savory, and deeply flavorful, the meat broth provides liquid to the bottom of the dish.
You may swap the meat broth for hen broth should you choose.
- Worcestershire Sauce. Provides great umami taste.
- Recent Thyme + Bay Leaf. Earthy, herby additions that lower by the richness.
- Frozen Greens. I used a bag of frozen peas and carrots to simply sneak in further veggies.
- Minimize, boil, and drain the potatoes.
- Mash with the butter, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Stir till the butter is generally melted. YUM.
- Whisk the milk and egg yolk collectively.
- Stir the milk combination into the potatoes.
- For the filling, sauté the onion.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste.
- Stir within the meat.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat.
- Add the broth, Worcestershire, thyme, and bay leaf. Carry the combination to a boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Take away the thyme and bay leaf.
- Stir within the frozen greens.
- Unfold the meat combination into the underside of a baking dish coated with nonstick spray.
- Add the topping, spreading it into an excellent layer. Bake shepherd’s pie at 400 levels F for 25 minutes. Let cool for not less than 10 minutes, then DIG IN!
For dairy free shepherd’s pie, use a vegan butter substitute, dairy free milk, and vegan Parmesan.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm shepherd’s pie in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day upfront, put together the mashed potato topping as directed. Refrigerate it in an hermetic storage container till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
Flip leftovers into meal prep paradise. Rigorously take away portion-sized items from the baking dish, and switch them to the wells of a muffin tin (preserve the mashed potatoes on prime). When you’ve transferred all of your leftovers, freeze till stable. Switch the frozen shepherd’s pie “muffins” to an hermetic, freezer-safe ziptop storage bag for as much as 3 months. Take away and thaw the “muffins” as wanted for a consolation meals repair.
What to Serve with Shepherd’s Pie
Roasted Inexperienced Beans
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
View all recipes
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
Lovely Baking Dish
Excessive-quality and exquisite, this baking dish might be in your kitchen for a lifetime. Is available in a number of colours.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a score beneath within the feedback and let me understand how you appreciated the recipe.
Did you develop up consuming shepherd’s pie or cottage pie?
When you do that model of conventional shepherd’s pie recipe, I’d love to listen to what you assume within the feedback beneath!
Regularly Requested Questions
Can I Make this Recipe with Beer?
Including beer to your dish is a scrumptious and enjoyable twist. For an Irish shepherd’s pie, swap the meat broth for Guinness.
Will Different Varieties of Potatoes Work on this Recipe?
When you don’t have russet potatoes available, swapping Yukon gold potatoes is the most effective substitute. When you’d choose to make a candy potato shepherd’s pie, you possibly can experiment with swapping candy potatoes as an alternative.
Can I Make Gluten Free Shepherd’s Pie?
To make this recipe gluten free, swap the all-purpose flour for a 1:1 gluten free flour like this one.
For the Mashed Potato Topping:
- 1 ½ kilos russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter diced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 massive egg yolk
For the Meat Filling:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound lean floor beef or floor lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup much less sodium beef broth or hen broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs recent thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (10- to 12-ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots no must thaw
Boil the potatoes for the topping: Peel the potatoes and lower into 1-inch chunks. Place in a medium saucepan. Add sufficient cool water to cowl the potatoes by 1 inch. Cowl the pot and convey to boil over excessive warmth. As quickly because the water is boiling, uncover, then scale back the warmth to a simmer. Prepare dinner, adjusting the warmth as wanted to keep up a mild, regular simmer, till potatoes are fork tender, about 12 to 16 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan. If the potatoes are very moist, warmth the saucepan over low, shaking it often, till any liquid on the floor of the potatoes has cooked off, about 1 minute, then take away from the warmth.
Combine the topping collectively: With a potato masher or picket spoon, mash the potatoes effectively. Scatter the butter items excessive. Add the Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
With a picket spoon or rubber spatula, stir just a few occasions, till the butter is generally melted.
In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup with a spout, whisk collectively the milk and egg yolk.
Add to the potatoes. Stir to mix. The potatoes needs to be wealthy and fluffy.
Make the filling: Coat a 9×9, 8×10, or 11×7 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Place rack within the middle of your oven and preheat to 400 levels F. In a big skillet, warmth the oil over medium-high warmth. As soon as it’s sizzling and shimmering, add the onion and prepare dinner till it’s starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
Add the garlic and tomato paste. Stirring constantly, prepare dinner 30 seconds.
Add the meat (or lamb), salt, and pepper. Prepare dinner, breaking up the meat, till it’s browned and cooked by, about 4 minutes. If there may be extra grease within the pan, fastidiously drain it off (this shouldn’t be an issue in case your beef is round 93% lean).
Sprinkle the flour excessive, and prepare dinner, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Stir within the broth, Worcestershire, thyme, and bay leaf. With a rubber spatula or picket spoon, scrape the underside of the pan to take away any stuck-on browned bits. Carry the liquid to a boil, scale back the warmth to low, then cowl the pan and let simmer gently till the sauce thickens barely, about 10 minutes. Take away the thyme and bay leaf. Style and modify the seasoning as desired.
Stir within the peas and carrots.
Switch the meat combination to the ready dish, spreading it into an excellent layer.
Add the mashed potatoes by spoonfuls excessive, beginning across the edges to create a “seal” (this can forestall the filling from effervescent up). With a spatula, gently unfold the potatoes into an excellent layer.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with a chunk of parchment paper, then place the dish on prime (this can catch any elements of the filling that bubble over). Bake the shepherd’s pie uncovered on the middle rack for 25 minutes, or till the potatoes start to brown. Let cool for not less than 10 minutes previous to serving.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm shepherd’s pie in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 351kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 24gFats: 14gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 5gTrans Fats: 0.5gLdl cholesterol: 98mgPotassium: 1030mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2735IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 101mgIron: 4mg
Be part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Hearty Casserole Recipes
View all recipes