This wholesome Potato Leek Soup is precisely the place we have to be proper now: expertly strolling the tightrope between wealthy, creamy consolation and all issues brilliant, healthful, and nourishing.
While you style a chunk of this potato leek soup, first you’ll be struck by how wealthy and thick it’s (like my favourite Vegan Potato Soup).
Then, nevertheless, one thing will change.
Flavors of dill, capers, and chives hit your style buds and persuade you that this soup have to be pure brilliant sunshine served in a bowl.
One other curve ball: this decadently textured potato leek soup recipe comprises no heavy cream or milk and is vegan (!!!!).
5 Star Evaluate
“That is nice. Silky and brilliant certainly. Merely yummy. Positively making once more.”
— Christi —
Like my dreamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup, this vegan potato leek soup is velvety but brilliant, hearty however not heavy.
I really like consuming it for simple lunches.
Every time I style it, it surprises and delights me anew.
Immediately’s recipe retains what I argue are the most effective elements of potato leek soup—the standard greens and soothing, creamy texture—however is a world other than the heavy-cream-laden iterations you might have tried.
The key to a CREAMY potato leek soup is (are you prepared for this?)…CASHEWS.
Blended cashews don’t style like nuts as soon as added to the soup (as in my Immediate Pot Carrot Soup with Ginger).
Relatively, they flip right into a cashew cream that makes soup satisfying and wealthy with out weighing it down.
The right way to Make Potato Leek Soup
This recipe makes intelligent use of the components themselves and retains the potato leek soup energy a lot decrease (like my Roasted Carrot Soup).
Not solely is that this soup wealthy, creamy, and satisfying, the cashews nearly make the soup style tacky (as in my Vegan Queso), even though it’s made totally with out dairy.
It is a vegetarian potato leek soup as written. It’s additionally vegan, gluten free, dairy free, Paleo (for those who don’t thoughts white potatoes moderately), and Whole30 compliant.
- Leeks. A relative of the onion, leeks are delicate and delicate. The white half and light-weight inexperienced elements of the leek are used for soup (and Spinach Quiche), whereas the darkish inexperienced tops are usually not edible however can be utilized for those who’d wish to make inventory.
To prepare dinner leeks for soup, you’ll first need to wash out any grime that’s hidden of their layers. After slicing them, rinse them totally and run them by means of a salad spinner or shake them out in a colander to be sure to don’t have any bits of grime or sand spoiling your pretty soup.
- Celery + Carrots + Garlic. A traditional for soup bases (typically referred to as mirepoix when mixed with onions, however the leeks stand in for the onion right here). These components give the soup a depth of taste you’d miss with out them.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes are the potato of alternative right here, versus starchy russet potatoes). With their naturally buttery taste and easy texture, they provide the soup unbelievable richness (with out cream or milk) and physique. (They’re additionally the most effective potato for Oven Roasted Potatoes.)
- Cashews. The key to creamy vegan soup success. If you happen to’re involved about cashews including an excessive amount of fats, don’t be. Cashews are loaded with wholesome fat and minerals that make this a superfood soup!
You should definitely choose unsalted uncooked cashews for this recipe. Roasted cashews could also be utilized in a pinch, however their taste can be rather more pronounced, and so they could not mix as easily as uncooked cashews.
- Vegetable Broth. The liquid base that retains the soup vegan (vegetable inventory could also be used too).
If the soup being vegan or vegetarian isn’t a priority, you need to use hen broth or hen inventory.
- Artichoke Hearts. Shocking and SO improbable in potato leek soup. I at all times have a couple of cans of artichokes available, and they’re great right here.
- Dijon Mustard. A spoonful of Dijon cuts by means of the richness of the cashews and balances the soup. There’s a cause mustard and potatoes are sometimes served collectively, and it’s very best right here.
- Capers. The brininess is a beautiful foil to the creaminess of the potatoes.
If you happen to don’t look after capers, I’d counsel omitting them. You might have to bump up the salt a bit since they do add saltiness to the soup. If you’re on the fence, nevertheless, please strive it! You gained’t remorse it.
- Lemon Juice. For a contact of brightness and acidity.
- Contemporary Dill + Chives. Dill and chives elevate this soup to the stratosphere. Please don’t skip them or be tempted to substitute dried. Contemporary is value it!
Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
If in case you have some meat lovers in your own home, they might prime this soup with crumbled Oven Baked Bacon or Air Fryer Bacon, ham, or sausage, although I promise this soup is mighty satisfying with out.
- To Retailer. Place leftovers in an hermetic storage container within the fridge. Leek and potato soup will final for as much as 4 days within the fridge.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm soup in a Dutch oven on the range over medium warmth till sizzling. You can too reheat your soup within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Whereas I’m ALL ABOUT the freezer, this soup isn’t the best candidate for 2 causes. First, the cashew base will change into much less easy when the soup is frozen. Second, potatoes are likely to change into mealy when frozen. (For what it’s value, I froze this Crockpot Potato Soup and didn’t thoughts the feel change, nevertheless it’s good to remember.)
What to Serve with Potato Leek Soup
View all recipes
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Ladle. The best technique to switch soups to bowls and storage containers.
- Excessive-Powered Blender. Excellent for mixing the soup components. (This extra economical blender choice is nice too.) You may additionally use an immersion blender too.
- Love and Lemons Each Day. This potato leek soup recipe comes from this excellent cookbook, the second guide written by the ridiculously proficient Jeanine and Jack of the weblog Love and Lemons. It places greens on the middle of the plate and proves how outrageously scrumptious they will (and will!) be.
The Greatest Dutch Oven
My favourite vessel for making soups on the stovetop.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a ranking beneath within the feedback and let me know the way you favored the recipe.
This potato leek soup punches effectively above its weight. I can’t wait so that you can strive it!
Steadily Requested Questions
Do I Have to Soak Cashews Earlier than Including to the Soup?
Whereas cashews typically have to be soaked in vegan recipes, this soup isn’t one among them. Merely add the uncooked cashews to the blender with the soup when able to puree. It couldn’t be simpler!
Can I Use Walnuts or Almonds As a substitute of Cashews?
Each walnuts and almonds would have a extra pronounced style and would possible not puree as easy as cashews, so I’m undecided I’d advocate them in its place. If you happen to do use almonds, search for ones with the skins eliminated.
If I Have a Nut Allergy, Can I Omit the Cashews?
I’ve not tried making this potato and leek soup with out cashews, so it could be an experiment. I do suppose you would strive including 1/2 cup of coconut cream instead of the cashews with good outcomes, nevertheless.
What’s the Origin of Potato Leek Soup?
The origin of potato leek soup is initially from Wales, although variations of it are common throughout Europe (Irish Potato leek soup is a traditional), and for good cause. It’s a reasonable, scrumptious meal and makes use of the potato, a hearty crop grown all all through the world. For instance, potato leek soup can be common in Romania and France.
Can Potato Leek Soup Be Served Chilly?
When served chilly, potato leek soup is called vichyssoise. Admittedly, I’ve by no means gotten into the chilly model—although I did sneak a number of bites of this soup chilly out of the fridge on Tuesday evening. It’s so scrumptious, I wanted a chunk!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks white and light-weight inexperienced elements, thinly sliced and rinsed (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped (I scrubbed and left the peels on)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus further to style
- Freshly floor black pepper to style
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 kilos Yukon gold potatoes chopped (I scrubbed left the peels on)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can artichoke hearts (14 ounces) drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked cashews
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons contemporary lemon juice divided
- 1/2–1 cup water
- 1/4 cup contemporary dill chopped (plus additional for garnish)
- 1/4 cup contemporary chives chopped (plus additional for garnish)
Warmth the oil in a big pot over medium warmth. Add the leeks, celery, carrots, salt, and some grinds of black pepper. Sauté, stirring often, till the greens start to melt, 8 to 10 minutes, turning down the warmth in the event that they begin to over-brown.
Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute extra. Add the potatoes and the broth. Carry to a boil, then cut back the warmth and simmer for 15 to twenty minutes, or till the potatoes are tender. Stir within the artichokes.
Let cool barely, then switch half of the soup to a blender, together with the cashews, mustard, capers, and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Puree till easy, after which pour the combination again into the soup pot. Stir within the water as wanted to succeed in your required consistency. (I really like a brilliant thick soup, so I used nearer to 1/2 cup.) Add the dill, chives, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Season to style with salt and pepper.
Garnish with extra dill, chives, and a drizzle of olive oil. Get pleasure from!
- TO STORE: Leftover soup may be saved within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat gently on the stovetop or within the microwave till steaming.
- TO FREEZE: Keep away from freezing (see weblog publish above for the explanation why).
- TIP: Don’t skip the contemporary herbs! They make the soup style extremely contemporary and are effectively value it right here.
- SOURCE: Shared with permission from Love and Lemons Each Day
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 312kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 6gFats: 16gSaturated Fats: 2gPotassium: 706mgFiber: 6gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 3680IUVitamin C: 47mgCalcium: 73mgIron: 3mg
Be part of immediately and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.