Roasted Asparagus is the primary inexperienced vegetable I beloved as a child. With its tender stalks and crispy ideas, baked asparagus will open the way in which for extra greens in your plate!
My Grammy launched me to roasted asparagus.
She’d let me assist snap off the ends to prep it for cooking.
Later, after I was sufficiently old, she handed me the potholder and let me wiggle the pan midway by way of cooking in order that the asparagus would roast evenly.
I beloved watching the asparagus spears roll within the olive oil, then caramelize underneath the oven’s warmth.
Whereas Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Beets, and Roasted Broccoli took me till maturity to embrace, savory contemporary asparagus and I received alongside straight away.
I do know in the event you do this best-ever roasted asparagus recipe, you’ll fall in love with the simple vegetable facet dish too.
Choose to make asparagus on the grill as an alternative? Do this delicious Grilled Asparagus recipe.
5 Star Evaluate
“This can be my go to solution to put together and cook dinner asparagus from right here on out! It was SO savory, 10/10 style and texture.”
— Gabriela —
In relation to roasted greens that may be on the desk quick, roasted asparagus is tough to beat.
Mix the fast cook dinner time with how briskly asparagus is to prep, and you’ve got the makings for a go-to wholesome facet pronto.
Asparagus can also be wholesome!
- It’s full of fiber, vitamin Ok, and folate.
- Asparagus can also be wealthy in key vitamins similar to vitamin A and vitamin C.
For those who love roasted greens, don’t miss the Final Roasted Vegetable Information (with key ideas, methods to make use of leftovers, and contemporary methods to taste them) in my cookbook!
Ideas for Good Roasted Asparagus
Once you’re not having Air Fryer Asparagus, baking good roast asparagus comes down to a couple straightforward however important ideas.
Trim the Asparagus Correctly
Each stalk of asparagus has a troublesome, woody finish that ought to be eliminated earlier than roasting. The place this woody part stops and begins varies from stalk to stalk.
There are two strategies for trimming asparagus to think about: bend and break (one of the best technique) or trimming with a knife.
- Whereas trimming all the bunch of asparagus without delay is quicker, you’ll inevitably waste edible flesh on some spears, and miss a few of the woody components of others—leading to just a few robust, stringy bites.
- Bending and breaking asparagus ensures you solely take away the robust parts of every stalk, leading to much less waste and assured tenderness on each stalk.
How you can Prep Asparagus for Roasting
Bend and Break Maintain the highest of the stem in a single hand and grip it close to the bottom with the opposite. Briskly bend, and the asparagus will naturally snap in the suitable place. It’s nearly like magic and really satisfying. (Be at liberty to channel Legally Blonde and seek advice from this technique because the “bend and snap.”)
Minimize the Bunch (quickest technique). Maintain all the bunch of asparagus in a single hand (this works very nicely if it’s nonetheless rubber-banded collectively) and trim off the ends about 1 1/2 inches or so from the underside.
Wash the Asparagus
Like Roasted Inexperienced Beans and different veggies, asparagus ought to be washed earlier than it’s roasted. You are able to do this both earlier than or after trimming it.
- After you rinse, make sure you dry the asparagus nicely on a kitchen towel to verify it crisps properly within the oven.
- I like to clean previous to trimming to offer the asparagus additional time to dry.
Don’t Crowd the Pan
That is the cardinal rule for all roasted greens, whether or not we’re speaking about Oven Roasted Potatoes, Roasted Tomatoes, or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- For those who crowd the pan, the air received’t flow into correctly. The greens will steam as an alternative of roast and received’t turn out to be as crispy.
- For good, crispy asparagus, ensure that the spears aren’t touching each other.
Season and Oil
Correct oil and seasoning are vital to serving to meals style its greatest, and roasted greens aren’t any exception.
- You should definitely use kosher salt or sea salt (which have a greater, extra pure style than desk salt).
- For extra variation, add black pepper or attempt one of many different recipe variations listed in “The Components” part beneath.
- Use sufficient oil to offer the spears a lightweight coating on all sides. For those who don’t, the spears’ tender ideas (one of the best half!) will burn.
- Roasting is among the healthiest methods to cook dinner asparagus, so don’t fear about utilizing olive oil; it’s vital to creating it style scrumptious. Plus, olive oil is excessive in antioxidants and helpful fat.
Roast at a Excessive Temperature
I examined roasted asparagus at 350, 375, 400, 425, and 450 F.
- 425 levels F is the perfect oven temperature for roasting asparagus. The excessive warmth yields the crispy outdoors, caramelized inside texture we’re in search of with out burning the spears.
- If you’re baking different dishes with the asparagus within the oven (or including it to this Sheet Pan Hen with Rainbow Greens) and must tweak the oven temperature to accommodate, my second advice can be asparagus at 400 F.
Roast asparagus at 425 levels F for 9 to 11 minutes (skinny stalks) or 15 to twenty minutes (thick stalks).
For those who overcook asparagus, it’s going to turn out to be mushy, and it might burn. It occurs extra shortly than you’d count on.
- One of the simplest ways to inform if asparagus is finished and to maintain it from changing into soggy is to pierce it with a fork. As quickly because the fork can pierce the stalks simply, the asparagus is finished.
To roast a medley of greens, and for extra ideas and seasoning recommendations, take a look at my final information to Oven Roasted Greens.
How you can Season Asparagus
Listed here are some tasty methods to season roasted asparagus with on a regular basis easy elements.
- Roasted Asparagus Parmesan. Sprinkle the roasted asparagus with freshly grated Parmesan cheese simply earlier than serving. You can also sprinkle on the cheese, then pop the asparagus again into the oven for a minute or two in the event you’d just like the cheese extra melty.
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon. Add a thinly sliced lemon to the pan with the asparagus previous to roasting. End the dish with an additional squeeze of contemporary lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Spicy Roasted Asparagus. Add a pinch of pink pepper flakes. This variation is particularly good mixed with the lemon and Parmesan urged above.
- Balsamic Roasted Asparagus. Drizzle the asparagus with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar throughout the previous few minutes of cooking.
- Herbed Roasted Asparagus. Add dried herbs like basil, oregano, or Italian seasoning (earlier than roasting), or end with chopped contemporary herbs like parsley (after roasting).
- Nutty Roasted Asparagus. High the asparagus with a sprinkle of toasted slivered almonds, chopped toasted pecans, or toasted pine nuts.
- Caramelized Onion Roasted Asparagus. Caramelize 1 giant pink onion. Place the asparagus on a serving platter and prime with the onion.
- Garlic Asparagus. Sprinkle and toss the asparagus in garlic powder previous to roasting.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate asparagus in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F.
- To Freeze. I don’t advocate freezing roasted asparagus, because it turns into mushy. For those who should, freeze asparagus in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
To increase the lifetime of your contemporary (raw) asparagus spears, begin by eradicating the woody stems. Then, place your trimmed spears in a glass or jar with an inch or two of water. Place a plastic bag excessive of the spears, then refrigerate them for as much as 5 days. Change the water as wanted.
What to Serve with Roasted Asparagus
View all recipes
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Baking Sheets
These baking sheets are sturdy and high-quality. They work completely for roasting, baking, and a lot extra!
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a ranking beneath within the feedback and let me understand how you appreciated the recipe.
When you have vegetable skeptics in your loved ones, this roasted asparagus could be a gateway for them, the way in which it was for me (this Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is probably going to assist your trigger too).
With its quick prep, tender stalks, and crispy ideas, this straightforward, spectacular roasted vegetable deserves to be an everyday in your menu.
Continuously Requested Questions
Why is My Roasted Asparagus Mushy?
In case your oven-roasted asparagus seems mushy, it’s most probably overcooked. It’s also doable that you simply crowded the pan with an excessive amount of asparagus, so the air couldn’t flow into correctly.
Why is My Roasted Asparagus Stringy?
Seemingly you left an excessive amount of of the robust, woody finish on the asparagus. I like to recommend bending every spear in order that it breaks on the proper place.
When is Asparagus Season?
Whereas you should purchase asparagus on the retailer year-round, it’s at its peak within the spring, particularly March and April. Asparagus you should purchase within the winter tends to be extra shriveled, lacks taste, and (in the event you stay within the U.S.) it has been shipped from lengthy distances.
Ought to You Parboil or Blanch Asparagus Earlier than Roasting?
Whereas some recipes advocate parboiling asparagus earlier than roasting, I don’t discover that it makes an enormous distinction as long as the asparagus is contemporary, you trim the asparagus correctly, and cook dinner in accordance with the directions I’ve supplied.
For the Asparagus:
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons additional virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Toppings of your selection (non-obligatory—see beneath for recommendations)
Non-obligatory Toppings (decide one, two, or your mixture of selection):
- Lemon zest and juice
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Crimson pepper flakes (only a pinch)
- Thyme* (1 teaspoon contemporary or a barely heaping 1/4 teaspoon of dried)
- Basil* (1 tablespoon contemporary or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Drizzle balsamic discount or aged balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle of melted butter
- *INGREDIENT NOTE: If utilizing dried herbs (see urged quantities in “toppings”), add them with the salt previous to roasting; if utilizing contemporary herbs, sprinkle them on after the asparagus is completed roasting.
- DOUBLE BATCH: If doubling the recipe, divide the asparagus between two baking sheets to make sure it has room to roast in a single layer. Bake within the higher and decrease thirds of the oven, switching the pans’ positions within the higher and decrease racks midway by way of.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate asparagus in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F.
- TO FREEZE: I don’t advocate freezing asparagus, because it turns into mushy. For those who should, freeze asparagus in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 36kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 2gFats: 2gSaturated Fats: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fats: 1gPotassium: 229mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 857IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 27mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Extra Asparagus Recipes
Due to their ease and vitamin, asparagus is the right facet dish to organize for any event. Listed here are a few of my favourite asparagus recipes:
View all recipes