Decide my culinary requirements if you happen to should, however the Rooster Quesadilla is likely one of the nice dinner standbys of our time. Tacky, crispy, and prepared in a flash, what’s to not adore?
A plain cheese quesadilla of the white tortilla + prebagged cheese + microwave-until-melted selection could be made a little bit of a joke when describing somebody’s means to “prepare dinner,” however this juicy hen quesadilla is well-above primary.
Sauteed, seasoned hen thighs (or hen breasts if that’s your desire), fajita-style greens, and sure CHEESE make this the most effective hen quesadilla recipe.
Whereas straightforward, it will likely be appreciated by cooks of all ranges.
I’ve taken to creating the hen vegetable filling in bulk, portioning and freezing it (I like these containers), then pulling one portion out to thaw in a single day.
Come supper time, all I have to do is pile it onto a tortilla with freshly shredded cheese and pan fry it to golden perfection.
We have now dinner prepared in 10 minutes!
Even if you happen to haven’t made the filling forward, this tacky hen quesadilla is quicker than supply or preheating your oven for frozen pizza.
It tastes a lot more energizing and is best for you too!
Find out how to Make a Rooster Quesadilla
A hen quesadilla may be straightforward, however that doesn’t imply you possibly can’t make it the final word.
For the most effective hen quesadilla that’s crispy exterior and melty inside with simply the proper filling-to-cheese ratio, comply with the following tips:
- Be sparing with the oil. When you use an excessive amount of oil within the pan when cooking, it would make your quesadilla greasy. I normally make my quesadillas in a nonstick pan with both no oil (the tortilla doesn’t normally want it) or a little bit of nonstick spray.
- Grate your individual cheese. Ever questioned why your quesadilla cheese isn’t as easy and melty as your favourite eating places? Probably you had been utilizing prebagged cheese which, whereas handy, is coated with a powdery substance to maintain it from clumping. Sadly, that powder means the cheese doesn’t soften as easily.
- Be affected person. I do know you need to crank up the warmth and simply get on with it already, however when you’ve got the pan too scorching, the outsides of the tortilla will burn earlier than the cheese is melted inside.
- Let a number of the cheese soften out of the tortilla. Or, even add somewhat additional cheese on prime of the tortilla a couple of minutes earlier than flipping. That oozy cheese will develop into snackably golden and crispy.
Limitless Filling Choices
I’ve urged my favourite mix of hen, bell peppers, and pepper Jack cheese right here, however upon getting a melty cheese, you possibly can put absolutely anything inside a quesadilla that you simply like!
- Add totally different veggies like zucchini or mushrooms (do this Mushroom Quesadilla too).
- Swap up the protein by utilizing beans (like on this Breakfast Quesadilla) or pork like this Pulled Pork Quesadilla.
- Use a distinct type of melty cheese like white cheddar.
- Or, do some of every to create the customized quesadilla of your goals!
- Rooster. Tender, protein-packed hen breast (or thighs) helps make this quesadilla filling, flavorful, and nutritious. Rooster is wealthy in iron and minerals.
Lower this recipe time even additional by swapping in precooked hen, made with one in every of these straightforward strategies (and even retailer purchased rotisserie hen):
- Cheese. The gooey, tacky inside is a big a part of what makes this quesadilla so great. It helps maintain the filling collectively and tastes completely delicious.
What Type of Cheese is Finest for Quesadillas?
The most effective type of cheese for quesadillas is melty, flavorful, and versatile sufficient to pair with quite a lot of totally different fillings.
I like to make use of a mix of pepper Jack or Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar cheese. When you choose, you possibly can swap the sharp cheddar cheese for additional pepper Jack or Monterey Jack.
- Veggies. To make this hen quesadilla wholesome, I packed it with scrumptious veggies. Bell peppers and onions add taste, nutritional vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Spices. Chili powder, salt, and garlic powder add simply the correct amount of taste to the quesadilla.
- Sizzling Sauce. Whereas non-obligatory, you possibly can kick it up with a touch of scorching sauce if you happen to please.
- Entire Wheat Tortilla. Entire wheat tortillas have extra fiber than common tortillas, making them a more healthy different. They crisp up simply as properly and style delish!
- Toppings. Salsa, guacamole, queso, and bitter cream (plain Greek yogurt works properly too) are our go-to toppings. You would additionally add pico de gallo, recent cilantro, or shredded lettuce.
- Add the hen to a bowl, then stir in half of the spices.
- Sauté the greens with spices.
- Assemble the quesadillas by piling the fillings onto one half of a tortilla.
- Fold the empty tortilla half excessive. Repeat.
- Prepare dinner the quesadillas two at a time in a skillet.
- Flip after about 4 minutes, cooking on the opposite facet for a couple of minutes. Let cool, slice, and DIG IN!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover quesadilla in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze the quesadilla in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Put together the hen and vegetable filling as much as 1 day upfront. Assemble and prepare dinner the quesadillas as directed while you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
What to Serve with a Rooster Quesadilla
View all recipes
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Finest Non-Stick Skillet
Whereas this set is an funding, these non-stick skillets are made to final. They’re high-quality and straightforward to wash.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a score beneath within the feedback and let me understand how you appreciated the recipe.
Whether or not you name it in as a pinch-hitter or make it a part of your common meal plan, this hearty hen quesadilla is a house run!
Continuously Requested Questions
Can I Make this Quesadilla with Different Varieties of Meat?
Whereas we take pleasure in this quesadilla with hen, you may attempt swapping in cooked and shredded (or diced) pork, beef, or turkey. For a vegetarian choice, attempt including black beans.
What Else Can I Add to My Rooster Quesadilla?
When you’d wish to bulk up your quesadilla somewhat extra, you may add additional veggies, beans (On the spot Pot Black Beans or On the spot Pot Refried Beans), avocado slices, tomatoes, or every other filling elements you take pleasure in.
Can I Use Different Varieties of Tortillas?
I like to recommend utilizing complete wheat tortillas for the additional well being advantages, however you possibly can swap common flour tortillas if you happen to choose. Corn tortillas would additionally work for this recipe, however they’re usually a lot smaller than flour tortillas and tricker to carry collectively throughout cooking.
For many who are gluten free and luxuriate in utilizing almond flour tortillas, these are one other good choice for this recipe.
For the Quesadillas:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked diced or shredded hen about 2 medium breasts or 2 to three thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 crimson bell pepper diced
- 1 orange, yellow, or inexperienced bell pepper diced (or 1 cup chopped veggies of alternative: child spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, and so on.)
- Sizzling sauce non-obligatory
- 1 1/4 cups shredded pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided (or further pepper/Monterey Jack)
- 4 medium complete wheat tortillas
- Oil, butter, or nonstick spray non-obligatory for cooking the quesadillas
- Ready salsa
- Bitter cream or plain Greek yogurt
In a small bowl, stir collectively the chili powder, salt, and garlic powder. Place the hen in a separate, medium bowl and sprinkle with half of the spice combination. Stir to coat. Put aside.
In a big skillet over medium warmth, warmth the oil till it’s scorching and shimmering. Add the onion and bell peppers, and every other greens you might be utilizing (wait so as to add spinach, nonetheless). Sprinkle the remaining spice combination excessive and stir to coat. Sauté, stirring sometimes, till the onion is popping translucent and brown and the opposite greens are crisp-tender, 6 to eight minutes. If utilizing spinach, stir it in a couple of handfuls at a time till it wilts. When you’d just like the filling spicy, add a couple of dashes of scorching sauce to style. Switch the greens to the bowl with the hen and stir to mix.
Assemble the quesadillas: For every, prime half of a tortilla with an eighth of the pepper Jack (about 2 1/2 tablespoons) and an eighth of the cheddar (about 1 1/2 tablespoons). Unfold one-quarter every of the greens and hen evenly on prime of the cheese (it would appear to be quite a bit, however go together with it). Prime with one-eighth further pepper Jack (2 1/2 tablespoons) and one-eighth further cheddar (1 1/2 tablespoons).
Fold the empty tortilla half over the toppings, urgent gently. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Prepare dinner the quesadillas: With a paper towel, fastidiously wipe out the skillet you used for the greens. Warmth over medium to medium-low warmth, including somewhat butter or oil to the skillet if you happen to’d just like the tortillas crisper. Place 1 quesadilla within the pan with the folded edge operating down the middle and the open edge going through outward. Lay a second quesadilla down beside it going through the wrong way so it suits within the skillet properly. With the again of a spatula, flippantly press down on the tops in order that they flatten (don’t fear if a number of the cheese oozes out; it would develop into crispy and DELISH). Prepare dinner on the primary facet till golden and crisp, adjusting the warmth as wanted so the quesadillas crisp however don’t burn, about 4 or so minutes relying upon your range.
Rigorously flip and prepare dinner the opposite facet for about 2 extra minutes, till either side are a yummy, flippantly crisp golden brown.
Let the quesadillas cool on a reducing board for a couple of minutes (or switch to a 200 levels F oven to maintain heat whereas ending remaining batches). When able to serve, with a pointy knife or pizza cutter, slice into three pie-shaped wedges. Take pleasure in scorching with toppings.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover quesadilla in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze the quesadilla in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4) quesadillasEnergy: 523kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 40gFats: 27gSaturated Fats: 13gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 8gLdl cholesterol: 112mgPotassium: 394mgFiber: 5gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 2658IUVitamin C: 77mgCalcium: 517mgIron: 3mg
Be part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Quesadilla and Taco Recipes
View all recipes