If a pumpkin cookie and a snickerdoodle cookie had a child, these pumpkin snickerdoodles could be it. Besides they’re taken to the subsequent degree with the addition of life-changing brown butter, which provides caramel notes to each single chunk. Belief me, you’re in for a TREAT.
Most pumpkin cookies on the web end up extremely mushy because of the moisture that pumpkin puree provides to the cookie, however these pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies boast crispy edges, a chewy center and a crispy cinnamon-sugar coating that really take the cookie to the subsequent degree.
The key is these chewy pumpkin snickerdoodles: utilizing solely a bit pumpkin puree (an excessive amount of could make the cookies too mushy!) and solely an egg white (no egg yolk!). Belief me, you’re going to like.
FREE Pumpkin Recipe E-E-book
Join under and get a FREE printable e-book with my finest candy and savory pumpkin recipes straight to your inbox!
Components in pumpkin snickerdoodles
These do-it-yourself pumpkin snickerdoodles use the true deal butter and sugar to provide them that traditional snickerdoodle taste. We’re placing a fall spin on them with cozy pumpkin pie spices and pure pumpkin puree. Right here’s what you’ll have to make them:
- Salted butter: sure, I like to recommend utilizing salted butter on this recipe as a result of it brings out the flavour within the brown butter.
- Brown sugar: good previous brown sugar to provide the cookies that scrumptious molasses taste. I really like utilizing darkish brown sugar however both darkish or mild brown sugar will work.
- Granulated sugar: we’re additionally utilizing common, granulated white sugar in these pumpkin snickerdoodles.
- Vanilla: for a lift of taste. Discover ways to make your personal vanilla extract right here!
- Egg white: you’ll simply be utilizing one egg white, not a full egg, to provide these cookies the fitting consistency.
- Pumpkin puree: as a result of they’re pumpkin snickerdoodles, in fact! Be at liberty to make use of canned pumpkin puree or make your personal with this tutorial. We solely use a bit bit as a result of we don’t need these cookies to bake up mushy like most pumpkin cookies.
- All function flour: these snickerdoodles are baked up with common all function flour.
- Pumpkin pie spice: the final word combo of cozy spices. If you happen to don’t have pumpkin pie spice it’s also possible to use a mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves or allspice. See the notes part for the way to take action.
- Cream of tartar: you’ll want cream of tarter to assist activate the elements and create the right texture in these snickerdoodles.
- Baking soda & salt: to permit these cookies to bake up correctly.
- For rolling: give them that true snickerdoodle look and style by rolling the dough balls in sugar and floor cinnamon (or extra pumpkin pie spice!)
Can I make them gluten free?
I’ve not tried making them gluten free, so I can’t advocate a sub right here. Be at liberty to strive my gluten free snickerdoodles should you’d like!
DIY pumpkin pie spice
If you happen to don’t have pumpkin spice, you can also make your personal through the use of the next spices within the dough:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves or allspice
Learn how to brown butter
Be at liberty to comply with my step-by-step tutorial or just comply with these directions:
- Soften butter in a saucepan over medium warmth. The butter will start to foam. Ensure you whisk always throughout this course of.
- After a few minutes, the butter will start to crackle and foam, after which brown on the underside of the saucepan; proceed to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma.
- Instantly switch the butter to a bowl to forestall burning (be sure to scrape all of it out of the pan – each final drop!). Put aside to chill for 10 minutes. It will be important that your butter cools off earlier than including it to the cookie recipe.
Learn how to make the most effective pumpkin snickerdoodles
- Brown your butter. Begin by browning the butter so it’s good and aromatic. Let it cool earlier than utilizing it in these pumpkin snickerdoodles.
- Combine the moist elements. Use a stand mixer, electrical mixer or hand mixer to mix the cooled brown butter, brown sugar and common sugar till good and creamy. Then beat within the egg white, vanilla & pumpkin puree.
- Combine the dry elements. Whisk collectively the entire dry elements in a separate bowl.
- Make the dough. Slowly add the dry elements to the moist elements and blend them collectively on low till they’re simply mixed.
- Chill the dough. Earlier than rolling the dough into balls & baking, you should definitely chill the dough for 1-2 hours. Whereas they’re chilling you may combine up the cinnamon-sugar combination right into a small bowl for rolling.
- Make the dough balls. After chilling, preheat your oven and line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough, roll it right into a ball, and roll every ball in your cinnamon-sugar combination.
- Bake & devour. Place the cookie dough balls about 2 inches aside in your baking sheet, bake till barely golden on the sides after which allow them to cool. As soon as cool, it’s time to devour!
Don’t neglect these cookie baking suggestions
- Don’t use substitutes. Please you should definitely comply with the recipe as written except substitutes are famous within the notes part of the recipe. Altering the flour will significantly have an effect on the style and texture of those cookies.
- Be certain your elements are room temp. After you brown your butter you’ll need to make it possible for it’s cool in order that it doesn’t coagulate the opposite elements. The identical goes on your egg white — merely run an egg underneath heat water for a couple of minute (or place an egg in a bowl of heat water for a couple of minutes) earlier than cracking your egg and separating your egg white.
- Use recent baking soda. Be certain your baking soda is recent to make sure that these snickerdoodles bake up correctly.
- Measure your flour accurately. Are you aware the easiest way to measure flour with out a scale? Get my suggestions & methods on this video!
- Don’t skip the coolness time. Make sure to refrigerate the cookie dough for 1-2 hours earlier than rolling the cookies up and baking them. This helps the butter solidify a bit and ensures that the cookies have the most effective texture!
Freeze the dough for later
This selection is nice should you’re planning for the vacations! Retailer the dough in your freezer for as much as 3 months till you’re able to get baking:
- Roll your cookie dough into balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill the dough within the freezer for half-hour. This is called a flash freeze.
- As soon as the cookie dough balls agency up, you may switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container. Cookie dough will preserve properly for as much as 3 months.
- When able to bake, merely bake the cookies as directed within the recipe. You’ll doubtless simply want so as to add a number of additional minutes of baking time!
Learn how to freeze baked pumpkin snickerdoodles
If you wish to freeze the already baked pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies for later, merely look forward to them to chill utterly, then switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container lined with wax or parchment paper. I like to put them in a single layer to keep away from any cookies breaking. Cookies will preserve properly for as much as 2 months. As soon as able to eat, merely thaw out at room temperature and revel in.
Extra pumpkin recipes to strive
Get all of our scrumptious pumpkin recipes right here!
I hope you like these scrumptious brown butter pumpkin snickerdoodles! If you happen to make them you should definitely depart a remark and a score so I understand how you favored them. Get pleasure from, xo!
Brown Butter Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Prep Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Complete Time 1 hour 42 minutes
Fantastic pumpkin snickerdoodles with hints of brown butter and pumpkin pie spice in each chunk. These straightforward pumpkin snickerdoodles are crispy on the surface, mushy on the within and have pumpkin puree baked proper inside. An unbelievable fall tackle conventional snickerdoodles!
packed brown sugar
egg white (NOT THE FULL EGG)
all function flour
pumpkin pie spice
cream of tartar
- For rolling:
Make your brown butter: soften butter in a saucepan over medium warmth. The butter will start to foam. Ensure you whisk always throughout this course of. After a few minutes, the butter will start to crackle and foam, after which brown on the underside of the saucepan; proceed to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma.
Instantly switch the butter to a bowl to forestall burning (be sure to scrape all of it out of the pan – each final drop!). Put aside to chill for 10 minutes. It will be important that your butter cools off.
With an electrical mixer (or you may combine by hand), combine the cooled brown butter, brown sugar and common sugar till properly mixed and creamy. Beat within the egg white, vanilla and pumpkin puree till properly mixed.
In a separate medium bowl whisk collectively flour, pumpkin pie spice, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. With an electrical mixer on low velocity, slowly add within the dry elements and blend till simply mixed.
Place plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate the dough for 1-2 hours in order that the flavors meld collectively and the butter has an opportunity to solidify a bit. That is extraordinarily essential. You need the dough to be pretty chilly in order that it is simpler to work with and so the cookies bake up correctly.
If you end up able to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
As soon as dough is chilled, make your dough balls: measure about 1 ½-2 tablespoons of dough and roll right into a ball. If dough is just too arduous to roll right into a ball, you could have to let it sit out at room temperature for 10-20 minutes whereas your oven preheats.
In the meantime, combine 1/4 cup sugar and the two teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl. Roll dough balls in cinnamon-sugar combination, then place on the cookie sheet, 2 inches aside. Bake for 11-14 minutes or till cookies are simply barely golden brown across the edges. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes then take away and switch to a wire rack. Makes about 14 cookies.
If you happen to don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can also make your personal through the use of the next spices within the dough: 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves or allspice.
See the total publish for suggestions, methods & freezing directions!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This publish was initially printed on October 16, 2020, republished on September 27, 2021, and republished on October twentieth, 2022.