Fluffy, buttery side-dish bliss is yours with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes!
As soon as the trendiest vegetable on the menu, cauliflower has proved itself to be an everlasting basic.
Uncooked or steamed cauliflower is ultra-mild (dare we are saying bland).
That form of neutrality is just not ultimate for a stand-alone facet (and why I favor Roasted Cauliflower to uncooked), BUT it does give cauliflower a particular energy.
Cauliflower is a stellar low-carb swap for carby, creamy potatoes in lots of dishes.
Along with bulking up creamy soups like Broccoli Cheddar Soup and Cauliflower Chowder, cauliflower makes a surprisingly tasty stand-in for spuds in mashed kind.
Whereas cauliflower mashed “potatoes” aren’t a 100% I-can’t-even-tell dupe of conventional Crockpot Mashed Potatoes and Immediate Pot Mashed Potatoes, hear this: they’re actually, actually good.
Whether or not you wish to:
- Maintain your meal low carb
- Sneak a wholesome serving of greens previous choosy eaters, or
- Need a wholesome facet dish that goes with absolutely anything, cauliflower mash is a wonderful possibility.
Mashed cauliflower additionally works nicely as a topping for casseroles that decision for mashed potatoes, like Shepherd’s Pie.
Give it a attempt; you’ll be stunned by how comparable mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes style!
Learn how to Make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Mashed cauliflower doesn’t style like a lot by itself, which is why it’s the proper stand-in for potatoes, one other vegetable that’s bland till you liven it up.
For the very best cauliflower mashed potatoes doable:
- Season with loads of salt and pepper
- Add some fats to provide it the best texture and satisfaction issue (I exploit a combo of Greek yogurt and butter)
- Embrace a little bit umami within the type of Parmesan.
For good measure, I boil some garlic cloves proper together with the cauliflower, but when garlic isn’t your factor, be at liberty to omit it (if garlic is your factor, you have to make this Roasted Garlic quickly!).
- Cauliflower. Cauliflower will get a dreamy makeover on this recipe. Low in energy and filled with nutritional vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, it’s additionally a fantastic, low carb various to mashed potatoes.
- Garlic. Provides pleasant garlicky taste to the mashed cauliflower.
- Butter. Wealthy, buttery goodness is a should for crowd-pleasing taste. It additionally provides some much-needed fats.
- Greek Yogurt. Provides tanginess and creaminess in a wholesome approach. Greek yogurt is filled with protein and calcium.
You’ll be able to swap the yogurt for bitter cream should you favor.
- Milk. Helps make the mashed cauliflower creamy. Use any milk you’ve got available.
- Parmesan. Parmesan provides the proper tacky, salty taste. You’ll miss it if isn’t gone.
- Salt + Pepper. Basic, easy seasonings.
- Chives. The onion-like taste and exquisite inexperienced coloration of chives make them the best crowning glory.
- Boil the cauliflower till tender.
- Drain the cauliflower, then switch it to a meals processor. Add the remaining substances.
- Puree till clean. Serve with recent chives and ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate mashed cauliflower in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a pot on the stovetop over medium-low warmth, including splashes of milk as wanted. It’s also possible to reheat this dish within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze cauliflower mashed potatoes in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
For simple, portion-sized mashed cauliflower, put together the recipe as directed, then let it cool fully. Use the leftovers to fill an ice dice tray or muffin pan (with silicone liners). Freeze till stable. Switch the frozen cubes or “muffins” to a freezer-safe ziptop bag or storage container and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw and luxuriate in as desired.
Flip leftover cauliflower mashed potatoes, Sluggish Cooker Pulled Pork, and Straightforward Baked Beans right into a delicious and enjoyable pulled pork parfait. Utilizing a glass jar, layer mashed potatoes, baked beans, and pulled pork on high of each other as you’d a yogurt parfait.
What to Serve with Mashed Cauliflower
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Finest Meals Processor
I’ve owned and cherished this meals processor for 10+ years. It’s high-quality and comes with a number of blades.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a ranking under within the feedback and let me know the way you favored the recipe.
Mashed cauliflower, you’re the wholesome comfort-food transfer!
Continuously Requested Questions
Can I Make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Vegan?
Sure, you’ll be able to simply make this recipe vegan through the use of dairy-free butter, dairy-alternative milk, and dietary yeast as a substitute of Parmesan.
What Different Flavors Can I Add to Mashed Cauliflower?
You’ll be able to physician up this cauliflower mash nevertheless you want! Attempt a candy and spicy twist like in my Mashed Butternut Squash, or use my Loaded Baked Potato Dip for inspiration and add bacon and additional cheese for loaded mashed cauliflower.
Can I Mix Mashed Potatoes and Mashed Cauliflower?
If you need the very best of each worlds (and greens), you’ll be able to mix your favourite mashed potato recipe with this mashed cauliflower.
- 6 cups cauliflower florets about 24 ounces or 1 giant head
- 2 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup full-fat Greek yogurt or bitter cream
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk or milk of selection, plus extra as wanted
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- Chopped recent chives optionally available for serving
Place the cauliflower and garlic in a medium saucepan and add sufficient chilly water to cowl it. Add ¼ teaspoon of the salt, then carry to a boil over excessive warmth. Let boil till the cauliflower is fork-tender, about 6 minutes.
Drain the cauliflower and garlic in a colander, shake them very dry, then switch to a meals processor fitted with a metal blade (or return to the pot and puree with an immersion blender—this can be a little tough however will do the job). Add the yogurt, milk, Parmesan, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Puree till the cauliflower is clean and creamy, stopping to scrape down the bowl as wanted. Whether it is thicker than you prefer to, add extra milk 1 tablespoon at a time, till your required consistency is reached. Style and modify seasoning as desired. Serve instantly or switch to a heatproof bowl and hold heat over a pan of simmering water. Prime with recent chives.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate mashed cauliflower in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a pot on the stovetop over medium-low warmth, including splashes of milk as wanted. It’s also possible to reheat this dish within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze cauliflower mashed potatoes in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 127kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 6gFats: 8gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0.2gLdl cholesterol: 21mgPotassium: 500mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 246IUVitamin C: 73mgCalcium: 117mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Extra Comforting Facet Dishes
View all recipes