Moist, tender, and speckled with the candy, fruity style of ripe bananas, this straightforward Banana Cake recipe boasts old style taste, slathered in a dream of cream cheese frosting and topped with toasted coconut.
Whereas I’m all for a delicious loaf of Wholesome Banana Bread, it’s not the sort of factor you possibly can put candles on with the identical festive air as you possibly can a mega-moist, frosting-slathered banana cake.
When the event requires dessert—be it a birthday, a dinner invitation to a good friend’s, or a potluck if you need to deliver everybody’s favourite dish—this straightforward moist banana cake delights.
It’s homey and acquainted—identical to grandma’s banana cake—but in addition somewhat sudden. To summarize: it’s excellent for sharing and celebrating.
5 Star Evaluation
“Made this banana cake with my nieces and it’s off the charts good! The mixture of banana and toasted coconut is to die for!”
— Lisa —
Whereas I’m the #1 fan of this banana layer cake’s pillowy texture and spectacular banana taste, let’s be sincere right here…
It’s simply as a lot (if no more?) about that cream cheese frosting.
In case you’re questioning what the very best frosting for banana cake is, it’s a wealthy and creamy cream cheese icing.
The tang is so pleasant with banana (simply ask this Cream Cheese Banana Bread), earlier than you understand what’s occurred, you’ll be licking the leftovers proper out of the bowl.
Perhaps you’ll use a spoon. Perhaps not. No matter your technique, I help you.
Find out how to Make the Finest Banana Cake
This banana cake with cream cheese frosting is among the richest and most moist desserts I’ve ever baked (this Lemon Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting is an in depth second).
And it’s EASY.
Made as a one-bowl banana cake with wholesome swaps, equivalent to whole-wheat pastry flour and light-weight cream cheese within the frosting, that is one banana cake recipe you’ll need to snag a second slice of as a result of it received’t final lengthy.
- Banana. Mashed bananas in cake give a beautiful sweetness, true fruit taste, and tenderness. (In case you love banana treats, attempt these Banana Bread Brownies subsequent.)
- Flour. So as to add some further fiber, iron, and complete grain goodness to this cake, I’ve swapped half the all function flour for complete wheat pastry flour (identical to on this Wholesome Carrot Cake). It’s lighter than common complete wheat flour, so it doesn’t make the cake overly dense or stodgy.
In case you don’t maintain complete wheat pastry flour stocked, you can too make this cake solely with all function flour or use white complete wheat flour.
- Sugar. A mix of granulated white sugar and brown sugar sweetens the cake, provides further moisture, and makes it tender.
- Eggs. Soften the cake and assist it rise.
- Oil. Whereas I like a pleasant cake made with butter (howdy, Lemon Poppy Seed Cake), I opted to make this straightforward banana cake with oil to provide it as a lot moisture as potential and let that banana taste shine.
- Buttermilk. Provides this cake a beautiful delicate tang (like on this Buttermilk Cake).
In case you would not have (or don’t need to buy buttermilk), you can also make your personal as a substitute. To make selfmade buttermilk, combine 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice with 1/2 cup of two% or complete milk. Let sit for five minutes, stir, then use as directed within the recipe.
Readers have additionally reported swapping for gentle bitter cream with success, nonetheless, I’ve not personally examined this technique, so it could be an experiment.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder. Our leaveners that give this cake its beautiful excessive rise and contribute to its gentle and fluffy texture.
- Sweetened Coconut. A sprinkle of toasted coconut on high of the cream cheese frosting provides a contact of crunch and a nod to the tropics. You would additionally high this moist banana cake with chopped walnuts or shaved chocolate.
- Cream Cheese Frosting. Made with gentle cream cheese to make this cake rather less indulgent and blended with butter, powdered sugar, and some drops every of vanilla and almond extract, this skinny cream cheese frosting is proof of pure goodness on the earth.
- Preheat your oven and grease and line two 9-inch spherical cake pans with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas and whisk within the moist elements, apart from the buttermilk.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then progressively fold the dry elements into the banana combination with the buttermilk.
To maintain this banana cake gentle and fluffy, take care to not overmix the batter. Just a few lumps and bumps are completely high-quality.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 ready pans. (Remember to scrape the edges of the bowl clear to get each drop of bananafied batter!)
- Bake till the tops spring again calmly when touched and a toothpick (or knife) inserted within the middle of the cake comes out clear. Let cool on a wired rack.
- Toast the coconut.
The full time it takes to toast the coconut will fluctuate relying on the sugar content material of the coconut. Watch the pan rigorously to forestall burning.
I additionally counsel transferring it instantly to a small bowl as soon as toasted to forestall it from persevering with to toast within the pan as soon as faraway from the warmth.
- Beat collectively the cream cheese frosting elements till easy.
- Assemble the cake by frosting the layers with the cream cheese frosting. Prime generously with toasted coconut. Slice and ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Cowl the cake and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Take away and let the cake come to room temperature earlier than serving.
- To Freeze. Wrap the cake tightly in a layer of plastic wrap and foil, and place it in an hermetic container that’s freezer-safe within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving. In case you plan to freeze the cake, wait to frost it till after you’ve thawed it.
What to Serve with Banana Cake
Banana Ice Cream
Oat Milk Ice Cream
Rhubarb Swirl Buttermilk Ice Cream
View all recipes
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Mixing Bowls. I like the various sizes of this nested set of glass mixing bowls. They’re my favourite for on a regular basis baking.
- 9-Inch Spherical Cake Pan. This trusty pan has by no means failed me. From Strawberry Cake to Mocha Cake, they will do all of it.
- Picket Spoons. No want for a stand mixer with this straightforward banana cake recipe. That is one cake I like to combine the old style approach by hand.
The Finest Hand Mixer
In case you desire a hand mixer, this Kitchen Help hand mixer has labored like a allure for me! Lock the twine to the facet, and revel in numerous enjoyable coloration choices.
Did you make this recipe?
Go away a score under within the feedback and let me understand how you preferred the recipe.
Your ripe bananas are awaiting their true calling: to be baked into a straightforward moist banana cake!
Incessantly Requested Questions
Can I Make a Banana Sheet Cake With This Recipe?
Completely! To bake this recipe as a banana sheet cake, unfold the batter right into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. It’s possible you’ll want to increase the bake time by a couple of minutes, so control it.
Can I Make Banana Cake Gluten Free?
I’ve by no means made this banana cake gluten free earlier than, nonetheless, a number of readers have reported success doing so by swapping the flour for his or her favourite 1-to-1 gluten free baking combine.
Can I Make this Banana Cake with Cake Flour?
Whereas I’ve not tried making this banana cake with cake flour earlier than, I think it may very well be accomplished. It can have a much less sturdy texture, since there may be much less protein in cake flour than all-purpose flour.
Can I Make Banana Cake with Chocolate?
I’ve (surprisingly) not tried including chocolate to this banana cake recipe, nonetheless, it feels like a tasty concept! You would attempt mixing as much as 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips into the cake batter or swap the frosting for the chocolate cream cheese icing used on this Almond Pleasure Cake.
For the Banana Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3)
- 2 massive eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup gentle brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk*
For the Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces lowered fats cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups flaked sweetened coconut
Preheat oven to 375 levels F. Butter and flour two 9-inch spherical cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
In a big bowl, mash the bananas. Whisk within the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla.
In a separate medium bowl, mix the whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add half of the dry elements to the banana combination and fold in by hand, simply till mixed. Gently stir in buttermilk. Fold in remaining dry elements, simply till blended, being cautious to not over combine.
Divide batter evenly between the 2 ready pans.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes, till the highest of the desserts spring again calmly when touched and a toothpick inserted within the middle of the cake comes out clear. Let cool for five minutes, then prove onto a wire rack. Rigorously peel off the parchment paper and let cool utterly.
Whereas the desserts cool, toast the coconut. Warmth a large skillet over medium-low. As soon as the pan is heated, add the coconut in an excellent layer. Regularly stir and fold over the coconut within the pan, in order that it cooks evenly till the coconut is a light-weight, toasty brown and your kitchen smells wonderful; about 3-5 minutes. Take away coconut instantly to a plate as soon as prepared. Let cool. Notice the entire time to toast the coconut will fluctuate relying upon the sugar content material of the coconut. Watch the pan rigorously to forestall burning.
To arrange the frosting, beat collectively the cream cheese and butter till easy and creamy in a big bowl. Add the vanilla and almond extracts after which scale back the velocity to low. Steadily add the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating simply till mixed.
As soon as layers have cooled utterly, assemble and frost layers with the cream cheese frosting. Prime cake generously with toasted coconut. Slice and revel in.
- TO STORE: Cowl the cake and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- TO FREEZE: Cowl the cake layers tightly in plastic wrap, and place in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving. In case you plan to freeze the cake, wait to frost it till after you’ve thawed it.
- *INGREDIENT NOTE: In case you would not have (or don’t need to buy buttermilk), you can also make your personal as a substitute. To make selfmade buttermilk, combine 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice with 1/2 cup of two% or complete milk. Let sit for five minutes, then use as directed within the recipe.
- 6-INCH CAKE: The above recipe yields two 9-inch rounds. To make a smaller batch, chances are you’ll halve the recipe, then baked in two 6-inch baking pans as a substitute. Cut back the baking time to 18 minutes.
Serving: 1(of 12)Energy: 493kcalCarbohydrates: 83gProtein: 6gFats: 17gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 48mgPotassium: 280mgFiber: 3gSugar: 62gVitamin A: 279IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 61mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of right now and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Bananarama! In case you love baking with bananas, you’ll love these different tasty banana recipes:
Truffles & Cupcakes
Banana Bundt Cake
Pumpkin Banana Bread
Peanut Butter Banana Cookies
View all recipes