Have you ever heard of southern Squash Casserole? A creamy, tacky yellow squash filling baked beneath a crispy-as-all-get-out Ritz cracker topping, it’s a enjoyable, simple aspect so as to add to your vacation unfold.
In relation to planning conventional vacation meals, it’s simple to get caught up in the entire Crockpot Mashed Potatoes and Cornbread Sausage Stuffing, however don’t overlook in regards to the veggies.
Since (and we may be sincere about this) nobody needs a pile of unhappy broccoli subsequent to their Thanksgiving Turkey and Turkey Gravy, it’s essential to indicate some TCL to the greens on the desk too.
Giving greens the casserole remedy (baked up in a creamy sauce with a tantalizing crispy topping) is a surefire method to make them holiday-worthy.
Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole is perhaps the primary that involves thoughts, however it’s not at all the one possibility, as this Brussels Sprouts Casserole and Cauliflower Casserole can readily attest.
Squash casserole is conventional within the south, however the love of creamy fillings and crispy toppings has no boundaries.
Whether or not that is your first time making it or your fiftieth, you’ll love this model.
It’s 100% from scratch (no cream-of-soups right here!), simple to make, and the squash stays crisp-tender because it bakes within the creamy cheddar Swiss filling (no mushy casseroles for us!).
The best way to Make Tacky Squash Casserole
Because of its delicate taste (and the truth that it isn’t inexperienced) yellow squash is a pleasant vegetable with extensive crowd attraction…significantly when you cowl it in breadcrumbs and cheese.
I primarily based this recipe on my Zucchini Casserole.
- Comparatively, the yellow squash model is richer, a nod to its place on many southern vacation tables.
- It’s additionally quicker since you don’t must salt the squash dry prior to creating it (time saver, yay!).
As a substitute of salting the squash to attract out the water, letting it sit, then blotting it dry, to maintain squash casserole from getting watery, this simple squash casserole recipe makes use of two methods:
- Lower the Squash into Skinny Items. Thinner items imply the water will evaporate extra shortly as you sauté.
- Add Eggs. Whisking two eggs into the filling helps the filling arrange because it bakes and offers it a creamy, custard-ish texture.
- Yellow Squash. Filled with nutritional vitamins and antioxidants, yellow squash just isn’t solely a delicious veggie, however it’s wholesome too!
You may additionally make this a zucchini squash casserole should you don’t have yellow squash readily available.
- Butter. Cooking the squash in melted butter helps add scrumptious richness and taste proper from the beginning. Butter can also be used within the cracker topping.
- Eggs. Helps give construction to the casserole filling, making it extra like a custard.
- Greek Yogurt. You’ll wish to use unsweetened full-fat Greek yogurt right here. It helps make the casserole wealthy and creamy. Plus, it provides protein and calcium.
- Milk. Any milk you may have readily available will work nice.
- Spices. I used black pepper, dried thyme, and cayenne. The combo is earthy and really subtly spicy, which cuts by the richness of the casserole.
- Cheese. Other than the topping, the wealthy, daring, and nutty flavors of sharp cheddar and Swiss cheese would be the star of the present.
- Crackers. Spherical buttery crackers are important to this casserole’s crispy, crowd-pleasing topping.
Whereas I made this a squash casserole with Ritz crackers, you should utilize any model or selection you take pleasure in.
- Sauté the onion.
- Add the squash and sauté till starting to brown.
- Whisk collectively the filling components.
- Add the squash. Switch to a baking dish.
- Stir collectively the Ritz topping. Sprinkle over the squash casserole.
- Bake squash casserole at 350 levels F for 30 to 35 minutes. Let relaxation. ENJOY!
Want this recipe to be gluten free? Ensure that to make use of gluten free spherical buttery crackers.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Word the squash might develop into watery after freezing and reheating. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating within the oven.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, chop the onion and squash as directed. Retailer them individually within the fridge. You can even crush the crackers as much as 3 days prematurely, storing them in an hermetic container at room temperature.
What to Serve with Squash Casserole
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Casserole Dish. Good for making this recipe.
- Massive Skillet. Lengthy-lasting and dishwasher protected.
- Whisk. A small whisk is less complicated to deal with, which means much less splashing.
Stunning Casserole Dish
Not solely does this casserole dish look lovely served in your desk, however it’s additionally heavy-duty. It’s protected to make use of underneath the broiler, and it could actually go within the dishwasher.
Did you make this recipe?
Go away a score under within the feedback and let me understand how you preferred the recipe.
On the lookout for a aspect on which everybody can agree? That is one of the best squash casserole and it has you coated.
In spite of everything, even veggie skeptics love a crispy cracker topping!
Continuously Requested Questions
Can I Make this a Vegetarian Essential Dish?
Whereas we usually serve this squash casserole as a aspect dish, it could make a delicious vegetarian important dish. You may serve it as is with aspect dishes or sneak in some further protein by including chickpeas or cannellini beans.
What Different Cheeses Can I Use?
This casserole is scrumptious as written with cheddar and Swiss, however you possibly can experiment with different cheeses in order for you. I believe Monterey Jack, Parmesan cheese, and even Gruyere could possibly be tasty right here.
Is it Essential to Drain the Squash After Cooking?
Sure, it’s essential enable the squash and onion to empty after they’re cooked on the stovetop. That is important for eradicating a few of the extra moisture that might trigger the casserole to develop into watery. I promise it’s price the additional jiffy!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 medium yellow squash minimize into ¼-inch thick cash (about 3 kilos)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 2 giant eggs
- 1 (5.3-ounce) container full-fat plain Greek yogurt about 1/2 cup
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese or extra cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve spherical buttery crackers reminiscent of Ritz, coarsely crushed (about 1 1/2 cups)
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Coat an 8×10 or related casserole dish with nonstick spray. Soften 2 tablespoons of the butter in a big skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the onion and prepare dinner till starting to melt, about 5 minutes.
Add the squash and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Prepare dinner, stirring typically, till the squash is simply tender and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Switch combination to a colander set over a bowl or within the sink (do not forget and activate the water). Drain a minimum of 5 minutes, then gently shake off as a lot liquid as you possibly can.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, black pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Add the cheddar, Swiss, and squash combination, then gently stir to mix. Switch to the ready baking dish and prod into a good layer.
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, soften the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add the crackers and stir till evenly moistened. Sprinkle excessive of the casserole.
Bake squash casserole till the filling is totally set on the edges and solely a tiny bit liquidy once you verify the middle with a knife, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let relaxation 10 minutes, then take pleasure in scorching.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Word the squash might develop into watery after freezing and reheating. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating within the oven
Serving: 1(of 8)Energy: 237kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 11gFats: 15gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 0.4gLdl cholesterol: 77mgPotassium: 569mgFiber: 2gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 769IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 208mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Vegetable Casseroles
View all recipes