If your loved ones roasts further Thanksgiving turkey purely for the leftovers, Turkey Tetrazzini is your must-try recipe this yr!
Don’t get me fallacious—I am keen on a superb leftover turkey sandwich (particularly this Apple Grilled Cheese with Turkey and Turkey Salad)—however typically it’s good to alter it up.
Or within the case that (nuclear state of affairs) you’ve gotten solely a small quantity of leftover turkey, baked turkey tetrazzini will stretch your treasured provide to feed a crowd.
Historical past of Tetrazzini
Tetrazzini is a pasta dish browned within the oven that’s made with a white cream sauce and vinegar.
- Regardless of being named after an Italian opera singer, Luisa Tetrazzini, this common recipe will not be Italian.
- It’s believed that rooster and turkey tetrazzini originated in San Francisco, California within the early 1900s.
The unique turkey tetrazzini recipe from Betty Crocker that I grew up realizing is made with cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream, and is (on this casserole recipe lover’s opinion) fairly bland.
Immediately’s turkey tetrazzini recipe?
It’s so tasty I’ve truly taken to creating it with shredded rooster in non-holiday instances simply so we will get pleasure from it extra typically!
Learn how to Make Turkey Tetrazzini from Scratch
This wholesome turkey tetrazzini from scratch ditches the canned soup for actual, easy substances.
With the assistance of some little culinary tips—a splash of vinegar right here, some sun-dried tomatoes there—it’s remodeled from an afterthought you might vaguely keep in mind from childhood into an adult-worthy dinner that’s each fascinating and nostalgic.
(This Do-it-yourself Hamburger Helper is one other childhood favourite reimagined.)
- Turkey. Cooked, shredded turkey is the star protein of this recipe. It’s lean, filling, and gentle in taste, making it the best addition to tetrazzini. See Learn how to Prepare dinner a Turkey and Spatchcock Turkey for my favourite recipes.
- Pasta. I used complete wheat spaghetti noodles for an additional diet enhance.
- Solar-Dried Tomatoes. These little crimson beauties pack a giant tomato taste punch that’s extremely tasty on this dish (and in Solar-Dried Tomato Pasta).
I like to make use of dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes on this recipe and rehydrate them in water earlier than including them to the recipe. You too can use oil-packed sundried tomatoes. Simply pat any extra oil off of them earlier than including them to the dish.
- Mushrooms. Filled with fiber and antioxidants, mushrooms are a scrumptious and nutritious addition to our tetrazzini. They pair completely with the creamy sauce.
- Peas. Utilizing frozen peas is certainly one of my favourite wholesome shortcuts. Peas are wealthy in nutritional vitamins and antioxidants.
- Sherry Vinegar. Offers the dish acidity and depth of taste. It’s a traditional in tetrazzini recipes!
- White Complete Wheat Flour. Helps thicken the tetrazzini sauce. I opted to make use of white complete wheat flour for a wholesome swap.
If you happen to don’t maintain white complete wheat flour readily available, common all function flour might also be used.
- Cream Cheese. The important thing to an ultra-luscious, creamy, and flavorful tetrazzini (and King Ranch Hen). I used reduced-fat cream cheese to scale back energy and ldl cholesterol (simply don’t use fat-free).
- Worcestershire. For a contact of umami.
- Smoked Paprika. Provides a refined smoky taste.
- Greek Yogurt. Offers the tetrazzini physique, helps make it creamy, and provides tanginess. (I additionally use Greek Yogurt on this holiday-worthy Broccoli Rice Casserole.)
If you happen to don’t have Greek yogurt, low-fat bitter cream would additionally work.
- Cheese. This dish makes use of a mixture of Parmesan and provolone, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack. The mix ends in melty, dreamy, tacky goodness.
- Panko. For the delicious crispy topping.
- Prepare dinner the pasta and sauté the onion.
- Stir within the mushrooms and garlic.
- Add the vinegar.
- Stir within the flour. Pour within the broth. Deliver to a boil.
- Take away from the warmth, then add the cream cheese, Worcestershire, and spices.
- Add the drained tomatoes, turkey, peas, and cheese.
- Stir within the Greek yogurt.
- Stir within the pasta.
- Switch the combination to a baking dish and prime with the Panko bread crumbs. Bake turkey tetrazzini at 350 levels F for 25 minutes. Broil if desired. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then dig into that crunchy topping! ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze turkey tetrazzini in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Chop the onion and garlic as much as 1 day upfront. Prepare dinner and shred the turkey (or rooster) as much as 1 day upfront. Refrigerate every ingredient in a separate hermetic storage container.
What to Serve with Turkey Tetrazzini
View all recipes
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Dish. Good for making this turkey tetrazzini.
- Dutch Oven. A kitchen staple that can final a lifetime.
- Spatula. I like utilizing this heat-resistant spatula for all the pieces.
The Finest Baking Dish
This lovely baking dish is the last word casserole dish. It’s heavy-duty, long-lasting, and straightforward to scrub.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a score beneath within the feedback and let me understand how you preferred the recipe.
Relating to leftover Thanksgiving turkey, “the extra, the merrier,” I say, particularly if it means we’ve an excuse to bake an additional pan of turkey tetrazzini!
Regularly Requested Questions
How Can I Make Gluten Free Turkey Tetrazzini?
To make your turkey tetrazzini gluten free, use gluten free pasta, gluten free breadcrumbs, and a 1:1 gluten free flour like this one.
Can I Use Recent Peas as a substitute of Frozen?
Sure, you possibly can swap the frozen peas for recent peas if you happen to favor (although I discover recent to be extra of a ache and never price it right here).
Can I Make Tetrazzini with out Meat?
Sure, you can also make tetrazzini with out meat. To make vegetarian tetrazzini, omit the turkey and use vegetable broth.
Can I Make Tetrazzini with Floor Turkey?
I’ve not examined this recipe with floor turkey earlier than, so it might be an experiment. To do this recipe with floor turkey, brown it in a big skillet over medium warmth till totally cooked. Then add it to the recipe as you’ll the shredded turkey in Step 10. The feel of the ultimate dish can be completely different, however the taste will nonetheless be scrumptious!
Turkey Tetrazzini Video
If you happen to get pleasure from this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Remember to click on the BELL icon so that you could be the primary to know once we put up a brand new video (and thanks for subscribing!).
- 16 ounces complete wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon further virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces cremini (child bella) mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup white complete wheat flour
- 3 to 4 cups decreased sodium rooster broth
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) reduce into items
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked, shredded turkey (or rooster*)
- 10 ounces frozen inexperienced peas
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded Provolone and Mozzarella cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup complete milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs complete wheat if attainable
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Coat a deep 9×13 or equally sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and put aside.
Break the pasta noodles in half. Prepare dinner in a big pot of salted water till it’s just under al dente (it shouldn’t be utterly crunchy however ought to nonetheless be too chewy to eat; the pasta will prepare dinner extra within the oven). Drain and put aside.
Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and canopy with scorching water. Put aside to rehydrate (if utilizing oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you possibly can skip this step; merely drain them and pat off extra oil).
In a Dutch oven or comparable massive, deep pot, warmth the butter and oil over medium warmth. As soon as the butter is melted, add the onion and sauté till softened and turning translucent, about 5 minutes; modify the warmth as wanted in order that the onion cooks however doesn’t brown.
Add the mushrooms and garlic, then enhance to medium-high warmth. Sauté till the mushrooms start to melt and quit their liquid, about 5 minutes, stirring periodically.
Stir within the sherry vinegar and let prepare dinner 30 seconds.
Sprinkle the flour excessive, then stir to coat the mushrooms. Proceed cooking and stirring periodically for two minutes. No white bits of white flour ought to stay.
Slowly pour in 3 cups of the broth, stirring all of the whereas to keep away from any lumps. Deliver to a gently boil and let prepare dinner, stirring pretty typically, till the combination is decreased by about 1/3, about 6 to eight minutes.
Take away the pan from the warmth. Add the cream cheese, Worcestershire, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir till the cream cheese is usually melted (some bits might stay, which is simply positive).
Drain and roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Add to the pot with the turkey, peas, Provolone cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
Stir till the cheese is melted, then stir within the Greek yogurt. Style and add extra salt and pepper as desired.
Add the cooked spaghetti and stir it to mix. If it appears very thick, add extra broth as wanted. It ought to look slightly bit soupy, as a number of the broth will prepare dinner off within the oven.
Pour or scoop the spaghetti combination into the ready baking dish. Sprinkle the Panko excessive. Bake the turkey tetrazzini for 25 minutes, or till the casserole is scorching and bubbly. If you happen to’d prefer to brown the topping additional, pop the casserole underneath the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes till it’s finished to your liking, watching rigorously in order that it doesn’t burn. Take away from the oven and let relaxation a couple of minutes. Get pleasure from scorching.
- *To shortly and simply put together shredded rooster, see my stovetop technique for Learn how to Prepare dinner Shredded Hen, Instantaneous Pot Hen, or Crock Pot Shredded Hen.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze turkey tetrazzini in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 8)Energy: 500kcalCarbohydrates: 63gProtein: 31gFats: 16gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 5gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 58mgPotassium: 884mgFiber: 4gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 793IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 278mgIron: 4mg
Be part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Scrumptious Methods to Use Turkey Leftovers
View all recipes