Admittedly, I’ve by no means been the person who liked inexperienced bean casserole throughout Thanksgiving. I simply didn’t get the obsession. HOWEVER, a couple of of years again a bunch of you requested this on Instagram and in our AK Fb neighborhood group, so I knew I needed to make it REAL GOOD for ya.
AND OH MY LEONARDO DICAPRIO (or as I prefer to say OMLD) this wholesome inexperienced bean casserole was past superb. So creamy, scrumptious, crunchy, and recent. I make it nearly yearly now!
Now that I give it some thought, I’m actually undecided the place the unique inexperienced bean casserole recipe got here from. Was it the again of the Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup? Created by a midwestern Grandma with a bunch of random stuff in her cabinet? Beats me, all I do know is that it’s a favourite Thanksgiving aspect dish and that it was in want of a severe makeover.
FREE Final Thanksgiving Information (+ printable guidelines!)
Whether or not you’re internet hosting or simply attending, this Final Thanksgiving Information e-mail collection is for everybody. Enter your e-mail beneath to get all of my greatest recipes, ideas, and a FREE printable guidelines for all your Thanksgiving wants.
What’s inexperienced bean casserole?
Conventional inexperienced bean casserole is made with cream of mushroom soup, inexperienced beans and french fried onions. It will probably are usually slightly mushy and fairly heavy, which is why I made a decision to freshen it up for you!
What makes this inexperienced bean casserole wholesome?
My wholesome inexperienced bean casserole model is a mixture of two home made classics. I used to be impressed by Alton Brown’s crunchy onion topping after which acquired my filling inspiration from Bon Appetit’s greatest ever inexperienced bean casserole.
After all, I lightened it up slightly extra the place I might utilizing WAY much less butter, and hen broth as a substitute of heavy cream. We’re skipping the cream of mushroom soup and making a creamy parmesan gravy sauce as a substitute. SO GOOD.
After the primary chew, I knew that this may endlessly be a household favourite.
Components in wholesome inexperienced bean casserole
My lightened up tackle conventional inexperienced bean casserole is stuffed with unimaginable, savory flavors and the proper textures because of recent inexperienced beans, crispy onions & savory mushrooms. No soupy casserole right here! Right here’s what you’ll have to make it:
- For the crispy onions: onions, olive oil, all goal flour, panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder & salt.
- For the inexperienced beans: you’ll be utilizing about 2 kilos of recent inexperienced beans on this recipe.
- For the mushrooms: butter, child bella mushrooms, thyme, salt & pepper.
- For the sauce: butter, all goal flour, hen broth (or vegetarian broth), garlic, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper.
Can I make it gluten free?
Sure! Simply make a gluten free inexperienced bean casserole through the use of gluten free all goal flour and gluten free breadcrumbs rather than the common ones.
What makes this model scrumptious and distinctive?
- The home made creamy garlic parmesan mushroom gravy sauce that the recent inexperienced beans bake in.
- The home made baked crunchy onions on high.
- The truth that it’s made with out cream of mushroom soup. JUST SAYIN’.
The best way to make inexperienced bean casserole forward of time
You possibly can simply make this wholesome inexperienced bean casserole forward to avoid wasting time throughout Thanksgiving. Right here’s what I like to recommend:
- Put together the recipe as directed, together with including the remaining 3/4 of the crispy onions on high besides don’t bake. Wrap with foil and place in fridge as much as 2 days forward.
- As soon as prepared, bake as directed. Eradicating foil over the last 20 minutes of baking to crisp up the onions a bit.
- Serve instantly with all of your favourite Thanksgiving dishes.
The best way to retailer & reheat inexperienced bean casserole
- To retailer: retailer any leftover inexperienced bean casserole lined within the baking pan or in separate, hermetic containers within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To reheat: merely reheat a portion of the inexperienced bean casserole within the microwave, or be at liberty to re-warm your complete baking dish to take pleasure in a couple of extra servings.
Extra Thanksgiving recipes you may like
Don’t overlook to take a look at all of our wholesome, scrumptious Thanksgiving recipes right here!
I hope you get an opportunity to do that wholesome inexperienced bean casserole recipe out over Thanksgiving. It’s completely scrumptious, makes yummy leftovers and SO a lot better than the inexperienced bean casserole we’re all used to. For those who make it make sure to depart a remark & a ranking so I understand how you appreciated it!
The Greatest Do-it-yourself Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole
Whole Time 1 hour 30 minutes
The BEST home made wholesome inexperienced bean casserole made with recent inexperienced beans, mushrooms and topped with home made crunchy onions. Lightened up from conventional variations and ideal for the vacations!
- For the onions:
medium to massive yellow onions, thinly sliced
all-purpose flour (or complete wheat pastry flour or gluten free oat flour)
- For the inexperienced beans:
recent inexperienced beans, trimmed
- For the mushrooms:
(16 ounces) sliced child bella mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- For the sauce:
all goal flour (or complete wheat pastry flour or all goal GF flour)
low sodium hen broth (or vegetarian broth)
grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly floor salt and pepper, to style
Preheat oven to 425 levels F. Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
Place sliced onions in a big bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil then add in flour, panko bread crumbs, garlic powder and salt. Use your fingers to toss to mix, then place onions onto ready baking sheet and bake for 15-25 minutes, utilizing a tong to toss the onions each 8-10 minutes or so, till good and crispy.
As soon as accomplished cooking, set onions apart. Scale back the warmth within the oven to 350 levels F.
Whereas the onions are cooking, convey a big pot of salted water to a boil. Add inexperienced beans in two batches, cooking for about 2-3 minutes per batch. I prefer to take away the inexperienced beans from the water with steel tongs and switch to a big bowl, then repeat with extra inexperienced beans. Put aside.
Subsequent prepare dinner your mushrooms: Place a big skillet over medium-high warmth and add in 2 tablespoons butter. As soon as butter melts, add within the mushrooms, recent thyme and salt and pepper. Cook dinner mushrooms, stirring sometimes till mushrooms are good and golden brown; about 4-6 minutes. Switch to a bowl.
In the identical skillet you cooked the mushrooms, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter melts, whisk in flour and prepare dinner for 15-30 seconds till a paste varieties, then VERY slowly add 2 cups of the broth, when you proceed to whisk away any lumps. You’ll have to whisk fairly vigorously.
As soon as clean, enhance warmth, and produce combination to a boil, then scale back warmth and simmer for five minutes stirring from time to time till sauce thickens up a bit, much like a gravy. If it will get approach too thick, add in 1/4-½ cup extra broth.
As soon as thick, flip off the warmth and stir in minced garlic and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Spray a 2 quart baking disk or 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with olive oil or butter. Add in inexperienced beans, mushrooms and 1/4 of the crispy onions; gently toss collectively.
Pour the sauce throughout, then cowl with foil and bake for 25-Half-hour. Take away foil, add the remaining crispy onions on high and bake for 5-10 extra minutes. Serves 8-10
To make gluten free: use gluten free breadcrumbs and gluten free all goal flour.
To make forward of time:
- Put together the recipe as directed, together with including the remaining 3/4 of the crispy onions on high. Don’t bake. Wrap with foil and place in fridge as much as 2 days forward.
- As soon as prepared, bake as directed. Eradicating foil over the last 10-20 minutes of baking to crisp up the onions a bit.
- Serve instantly with all of your favourite Thanksgiving dishes.
Servings: 10 servings
Serving measurement: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 3.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially revealed on November thirteenth, 2018, republished on November sixteenth, 2021, and republished on November fifteenth, 2022.