Creamy, cloud-like Garlic Mashed Potatoes are attainable someplace in addition to a restaurant! This tasty twist on a traditional facet is all types of yummy (and under no circumstances gummy).
This garlic mashed potatoes recipe is a must have facet dish to your Thanksgiving and vacation celebrations.
Or to eat on a Tuesday as a result of they’re comforting and indisputably scrumptious.
They are often cooked prematurely and reheated too, so you possibly can reduce down on meal prep time and save stress within the course of.
Irish by heritage and a Midwest lady (the area the place carbohydrates reign supreme), I do know a factor or two in terms of potatoes.
I’ve a number of recipes for this humble root veggie:
Methods to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
These garlic mashed potatoes are a standard cooktop technique, lightened up with cheap quantities of butter and 1% milk as an alternative of heavy cream.
They’re ethereally fluffy and creamy, completely flavorful with butter and herbs, and under no circumstances greasy or lumpy like some you’ll have been served prior to now.
- Potatoes. Russet potatoes yield that fluffy, cloud-like texture, however you may also swap in half or all Yukon gold potatoes selection. Yukon gold will end in denser, however extra buttery-flavored mashed potatoes, whereas russet provides you with a fluffier end result. Plus they’re a supply of fiber, minerals, and nutritional vitamins!
I don’t suggest new potatoes or pink potatoes, that are too agency and waxy for mashed potatoes. Save these to your crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes.
- Garlic. Use real-deal garlic cloves. I do know peeling is a ache, and also you don’t need your date smelling your garlic fingers, however it’s critical to the dish for the correct garlic taste (these are GARLIC mashed potatoes in spite of everything!).
Keep away from jarred garlic. You have no idea how lengthy it’s been in there, and the substances listed below are so easy, utilizing actual garlic cloves from a garlic head is vital.
- Milk. I known as for 1%, however you should utilize any proportion. Don’t use soy or almond milk as a result of their taste will throw off the recipe. Milk will make for creamy mashed potatoes (and is an effective supply of calcium!).
Garlic mashed potatoes might be made dairy free. Swap the milk for hen broth, and the butter for drizzle of olive oil.
- Bitter Cream. Provides the mashed potatoes much more creaminess and a pleasant, delicate tang.
Plain, full-fat Greek yogurt can be utilized rather than the bitter cream, to loosen up the dish extra and add slightly protein. Whichever you select, don’t be afraid to go for a second scoop of potatoes!
- Butter. 3 tablespoons will do the trick to make them decadent however not set your tummy over the sting.
- Recent Herbs. To deliver shade and life to the dish, since potatoes on their very own are gentle. Thyme, parsley, or chives could be good decisions. Once more, go recent; it’s price it.
If you’re brief on time, or for those who get pleasure from peels in your mashed potatoes, you possibly can skip the peeling.
- Minimize the potatoes and simmer in massive pot till tender. Drain.
- Add butter and mash. Depart them slightly chunky.
- Pour heat milk over potatoes and add bitter cream.
- Mash and stir till mixed and desired consistency. Sprinkle with herbs and serve. ENJOY!
Methods to Retailer and Reheat Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Garlic mashed potatoes might be made prematurely!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days earlier than serving.
- To Reheat. Over range is greatest, with splashes of milk as wanted to maintain them from drying out.
- Not freezer-friendly. I don’t suggest freezing mashed potatoes and this might negatively affect texture, making them mealy.
What to Pair With Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are that comforting, traditional facet that may be served with quite a lot of dishes.
Really useful Instruments to Make This Recipe
- Potato Peeler. When you want your potatoes peeled.
- Hand Mixer. My trick to mash potatoes simply.
- Garlic Press. Because you’ll be skipping the jarred garlic without end, put money into a mincer to save lots of on chopping.
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a ranking under within the feedback and let me understand how you favored the recipe.
Continuously Requested Questions
Are Mashed Potatoes Gluten Free?
Sure! Potatoes should not grains; they’re a starchy root vegetable.
Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Gooey?
Mashed potatoes can change into gooey or gummy if they’re over mashed. Use a fork, potato masher, or hand mixer, however don’t over do it. When unsure, go away some texture.
Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Lumpy?
Mashing the potatoes earlier than they’re totally cooked to fork-tender may end up in undesirable lumps. When cooking, guarantee your potatoes are reduce to comparable measurement chunks for even cooking. Additionally make sure you begin the boiling with chilly water in your pot.
Can You Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes Forward of Time?
Garlic mashed potatoes might be made a day or two prematurely. Reheat your saved potatoes on the range on medium-low warmth whereas gently stirring and being cautious to not over mash. Add splashes of heat milk (or broth) as wanted whereas stirring if they appear dry. They are often reheated gently within the microwave, however range is best.
What Seasonings Are Good in Mashed Potatoes?
Because the potatoes by nature are bland, it’s good to spice them up with salt, pepper, garlic, and recent herbs! I personally like recent chives.
- 3 kilos russet potatoes peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt plus further to style
- 6 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1/4 cup bitter cream or full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- chopped recent herbs resembling thyme or chives (non-compulsory, for serving)
Minimize the potatoes into 1 1/2-inch chunks, protecting the chunks comparable in measurement in order that they prepare dinner evenly. Place in a sauce pan massive sufficient to carry the potatoes and liquid to boil them. Add the salt and garlic. Cowl with cool water, then deliver to a boil over medium-high warmth. Scale back the warmth medium and let simmer gently, adjusting the warmth as wanted, till the potatoes are fork tender, about quarter-hour. Drain right into a colander, shake off the surplus water, and return to the pot.
Minimize the butter into a couple of items, then scatter it over the potatoes. With a potato masher or picket spoon, roughly mash collectively a couple of occasions (they don’t should be easily mixed at this level).
In a small saucepan or within the microwave, warmth the milk till it is extremely heat to the contact however not boiling. Pour over the potatoes. Add the bitter cream.
Proceed to mash and stir the potatoes, simply till the substances are evenly mixed. The potatoes must be very creamy, however nonetheless have small items of potato remaining. Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken if wanted. Style and alter the seasoning as you want (I often add one other pinch of salt). Get pleasure from sizzling (you may also switch to a heatproof bowl, then hold the potatoes heat over a saucepan of simmering water). Serve sizzling, sprinkled with herbs and some grinds of black pepper for those who like.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days earlier than serving.
- TO REHEAT: Over range is greatest, with splashes of milk as wanted to maintain them from drying out.
- TO FREEZE: I don’t suggest freezing mashed potatoes and this might negatively affect texture, making them mealy.
Energy: 270kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 7gFats: 8gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0.2gLdl cholesterol: 23mgPotassium: 1034mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 314IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 97mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Potato Recipes
View all recipes