These Creamy Scalloped Au Gratin Potatoes are so tacky and flavorful! And make a beautiful side-dish for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, or any night time you’re craving consolation meals.
Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin
Thanksgiving is lower than per week away! And I’m dying to know: what side-dishes are you make? Mashed potatoes? Cranberry Sauce? Inexperienced Bean Casserole? Candy Potatoes? Biscuits? So many selections… you possibly can actually make a whole meal out of sides!
So forgive me for throwing yet another choice within the ring… however I might be remiss if I didn’t share this heavenly au gratin potatoes recipe with you! That includes russet potato slices in a heavy cream cheese sauce that’s too-die-for scrumptious.
The secret’s thinly sliced potatoes! And ensuring you utilize russet potatoes, which is able to give us the feel we’re searching for. Different potatoes received’t maintain up effectively within the cream sauce, and switch to mush or launch to a lot water and switch the sauce into soup.
Au Gratin Potatoes Substances
- Butter: You’ll soften the butter earlier than including the shallots.
- Shallots: Candy and delicate, and cooked till golden brown… I simply love the flavour these add. However in a pinch, candy yellow onion could also be used as a substitute.
- Spices & Herbs: garlic, thyme, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and Dijon Mustard. Plus, salt and pepper!
- Heavy Cream: Don’t substitute this with milk and even half and half!
- Rooster Broth: I actually love utilizing bone broth right here as a result of it provides an amazing taste. However in a pinch, common rooster broth works fantastic. And in case you’re a vegetarian family, be happy to make use of vegetable broth.
- Potatoes: As I discussed earlier, it’s important you utilize russets right here. You’ll wish to peel them use a mandolin or sharp knife to chop them into 1/8-inch slices
- Cheese: Fontina, gruyere cheese, and finely grated parmesan cheese make our tacky creamy sauce flavorful and so scrumptious! And for my part, units this other than different au gratin recipes.
Find out how to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
- Soften the butter, then toss within the shallots and sauté till softened and barely caramelized, about 10 minutes. However this might take longer. Don’t skimp right here, as this step provides a ton of taste.
- Add the garlic and thyme and proceed cooking for one more minute, however don’t allow them to brown right here! Then stir within the cream, broth and remaining herbs and seasonings.
- Add within the potatoes and cook dinner till the potatoes are simply fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Don’t over cook dinner, the potatoes bake once more within the oven and can soften extra.
- Scrape the potato combination right into a shallow massive baking dish, sprinkle with the cheeses evenly over the potatoes, then bake till effervescent and golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. In contrast to many au gratin recipes, there’s no must cowl with foil and bake as a result of the bake time may be very quick.
- You’ll be able to garnish with just a few sprigs of thyme, for a reasonably presentation! And serve heat.
Scrumptious with turkey in fact, however these scalloped potatoes are additionally nice with ham, rooster, or only a easy aspect salad! You’ll be able to’t go flawed when serving them.
Extra Potato Recipes:
Creamy Scalloped Au Gratin Potatoes
Creamy Scalloped Au Gratin Potatoes are so tacky and flavorful! And make a beautiful side-dish for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, or any night time you are craving consolation meals.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 45 minutes
Relaxation Time: 10 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 15 minutes
Course Facet Dish, Sides
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
- 3 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon contemporary thyme leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 and 1/2 cups (340ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (113ml) rooster bone broth
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 kilos (908g) russet potatoes peeled and reduce into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 levels (F).
Soften the butter in a big pot or dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add the shallots and sauté till softened and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and thyme and proceed cooking for one more minute, or till aromatic.
Stir within the cream, broth, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and dijon mustard and cook dinner for two minutes, stirring nearly always.
Add within the potatoes and produce to a simmer. Proceed cooking till the potatoes are simply fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
As neatly as presumably, scrape the potato combination right into a shallow 9×13-inch baking dish (or related capability).
Sprinkle the cheeses evenly over the potatoes, beginning with the fontina, then including the gruyere, and ending with the parmesan. Bake till effervescent and golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. Sprinkle with just a few thyme springs, if desired.
Let sit for 10 minutes earlier than serving.
Key phrase thanksgiving sides, potatoes, scalloped potatoes, potatoes au gratin