One chew of this creamy, garlicky mashed cauliflower, and also you’ll marvel why you ever bothered with potatoes within the first place. They’re the proper facet to assist take in further sauce or gravy, and so they’re loopy simple to make. To not point out, they’re considerably decrease in carbs.
Transfer over cauliflower mac and cheese and cauliflower pizza. It’s mash time.
How does mashed cauliflower style?
Mashed cauliflower doesn’t style precisely like potatoes, however it’s surprisingly shut. And actually scrumptious. The addition of bitter cream and cream cheese helps to masks the cauliflower taste, should you’re not a fan. In the event you love the style of cauliflower and wish to let it shine, see my tweaks + substitutions beneath.
The additional benefit to mashing cauliflower, relatively than potatoes, is that cauliflower can’t be overwhipped or mashed–as a lot of you recognize, when mashing potatoes, there’s a advantageous line between mashed and gummy.
Cauliflower Mash Recipe Substances
Not a lot to this mashed cauliflower, just some substances for a great deal of taste. Listed here are some issues to think about:
- Recent vs. frozen cauliflower – both will work right here, as at all times I desire contemporary (besides when making cauliflower risotto). If utilizing frozen, you should definitely drain it very nicely earlier than mashing.
- Entire cauliflower vs. florets vs. rice – You should utilize complete cauliflower or cauliflower florets, rice is more durable to “mash” however nice for purées. Crucial half is to be sure you weigh your cauliflower.
- White vs. colourful cauliflower – keep away from purple, yellow, or inexperienced when mashing cauliflower, they received’t maintain up as nicely through the steaming course of.
Tweaks + Substitutes
Though we love this cauliflower mash as is, it’s versatile and simple to make distinctive to you. Right here’s how:
- Let the cauli taste shine – reserve a number of the cauliflower steaming liquid, and add that to assist mash as an alternative of bitter cream or cream cheese. You’ll nonetheless wish to add a little bit of butter (or butter different) for taste.
- Dairy free – Use your favourite dairy free milk (almond is greatest right here) as an alternative of cream cheese and bitter cream. You’ll wish to add one thing to thicken it, contemplate cornstarch or xanthan gum.
- Herbs – parsley, extra garlic (at all times), you identify it! Mashed cauliflower is versatile–heck the identical veggie can turn out to be cauliflower hummus!
How To Prepare dinner Cauliflower For Mashing (3 Methods!)
You possibly can cook dinner your cauliflower any means you favor. Simply know that some strategies take longer, whereas others will add a bit extra taste. Listed here are your choices, and how-to:
- Microwave: Place in a microwave-safe bowl and add a number of inches of water to the underside. Place a towel on prime and microwave on excessive for 4 minutes. Verify, and proceed to cook dinner till tender.
- Stovetop: Convey cauliflower and water to a boil, place lid on prime, and scale back to a simmer. Prepare dinner till tender, about 20 minutes.
- Oven: Or make roasted cauliflower for added taste. Merely unfold florets onto a baking sheet, and bake at 400 F till tender. (Under you’ll see my roasted cauliflower steaks, however similar idea).
How To Make Mashed Cauliflower
I’ll present you how you can make mashed cauliflower with an immersion blender, however know that you should use a potato masher for a chunkier texture, or purée your cauliflower utilizing a stand-up blender for silky clean outcomes…
- Prepare dinner your cauliflower, choices above.
- Add all different substances.
- Use an immersion blender to mix.
What Goes with Cauliflower Purée?
Serve it as a facet to your Thanksgiving turkey, or below your favourite meat and pan sauce combo. I like to serve all the pieces from saucy keto pork chops, to grilled steak, to easy baked rooster over a mattress of this cauliflower puree.
Cauliflower mash is about as simple as they arrive. Simply take into accout the following pointers for fulfillment:
- Soften the cream cheese and butter, that is one of the simplest ways to make sure they absolutely incorporate.
- Weight your cauliflower florets to be sure you have the right veggie-to-herb-to-cream ratio.
- Be certain that your steamed cauliflower is DRY, in any other case your mashed cauliflower can get watery. Permit steamed cauliflower to dry in a colander earlier than mixing all the pieces collectively.
- Stopping watery mashed cauliflower: As talked about, absolutely dry your cauliflower earlier than trying to mash it. Additionally, the cream cheese on this recipe does an amazing job of thickening! Some recipes add somewhat cornstarch, which I don’t discover obligatory, however be at liberty to take action.
Is mashed cauliflower good for you? Is it keto? Paleo?
Cauliflower is loaded with fiber, nutritional vitamins, and minerals (extra on the well being advantages right here). It’s additionally considerably decrease in carbs than potatoes–1 cup chopped has 3 g web carbs, whereas 1 cup of russets incorporates 25 web carbs.
This recipe does include cream cheese, butter, and bitter cream, so it’s not an amazing match for these following a paleo or dairy free way of life.
Extra Cauliflower Recipes
Servings :6 servings
Prep Time20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time25 minutes
Whole Time45 minutes
- Prepare dinner cauliflower:– Stovetop: add 1″ of water to a big pot with a steamer basket, and place cauliflower florets within the basket. Cowl with a lid, convey water to a simmer, then steam till fork-tender, about 20 minutes.– Microwave: place cauliflower in a big microwave-safe bowl with a number of inches of water on the underside. Cowl with a kitchen towel, and microwave for 4 minutes.Permit cauliflower to dry fully.
Mash. Take away lid and switch off the warmth. Add unsalted butter, minced garlic, cream cheese, bitter cream, salt, and pepper. Use an immersion blender to mix the substances till clean. (Alternatively, you’ll be able to puree substances in a meals processor or high-speed blender. Or mash them with a potato masher). Stir in chopped chives. Style and modify the seasoning to your desire, and luxuriate in!
Fee this Recipe
Followers Additionally Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Energy: 312kcalWhole Carbohydrates: 11gProtein: 6gFats: 29gSodium: 1040mgFiber: 3gSugar: 5gWeb Carbs: 8g
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/web site/weblog is strictly prohibited.