Prepared for the best-tasting greens? You’ll routinely, willingly, and with gusto inhale a whole pan of this Roasted Broccoli like sweet!
As a child, I by no means would have imagined utilizing the phrases “sweet” and “broccoli” in the identical sentence as synonymous, however that was earlier than we began making Roasted Greens!
Crispy from tip-to-end, caramelized on the heart, with savory and candy notes, roasted broccoli will flip even essentially the most ardent vegetable haters into vegetable believers.
(Who is aware of, they might even be prepared to attempt Roasted Beets subsequent.)
As a child, my understanding of veggies, on the whole, was as one thing mushy that got here out of a can. They had been a horror to be endured for The Larger Good (dessert).
Roasted greens (like Roasted Spaghetti Squash) modified my perspective solely.
As an alternative of being a side of the meal that I dread, greens at the moment are one thing I legitimately get pleasure from.
In actual fact, I’m such a fan of roasted veggies, I created an entire “Each-Night time Roasted Greens Information” in my cookbook.
5 Star Overview
“Not a broccoli fan…or wasn’t till a couple of minutes in the past. Scrumptious! Needed to make myself cease consuming so I can attempt it tomorrow warmed up.”
— Penny —
Advantages of Roasted Broccoli
We make roasted broccoli a number of nights every week. Listed below are just a few the reason why I adore it:
- It’s Good For You. Sure, roasting broccoli is sweet for you! With oodles of fiber, protein, and nutritional vitamins, this little inexperienced veggie packs a significant diet punch (learn extra well being advantages right here). Plus, roasted broccoli energy are low in comparison with many different facet dishes.
- It has Fabulous Taste. The caramelized outsides and tender insides make for a flippantly candy and wealthy taste that’s really addictive. Even broccoli skeptics can’t resist that roasted broccoli style!
- It’s Simple to Make. With my straightforward chopping technique, you may have the broccoli able to roast in minutes.
- It’s Nice Leftover. One of many main advantages of roasting veggies like broccoli in massive portions is that they’re scrumptious leftover and can pair effectively with meals all week lengthy. (Make forward with Baked Rooster Breast!)
The right way to Make Roasted Broccoli
In comparison with steamed broccoli, roasted broccoli excels in taste and texture (as does Grilled Broccoli).
It’s completely crispy (particularly these yummy suggestions!), and the candy, caramelized notes are extra pronounced.
Ideas and Tips for the Finest Roasted Broccoli
Lately, I’ve been enjoying round with my roasted greens (together with Roasted Carrots), particularly the dimensions I lower them and the oven temperature, then evaluating how these variables influence the way in which the greens prepare dinner.
The outcomes shocked me! Right this moment, I’m sharing a recipe and all my prime suggestions for methods to make the BEST-EVER roasted broccoli.
Minimize the Broccoli Florets Massive
Whilst you may assume that the smaller you narrow greens for roasting the higher, I discovered the alternative true.
- Chunk-sized items of broccoli tended to burn on the ends earlier than the insides may absolutely caramelize. The flavour didn’t develop.
- The bigger the items of roasted broccoli you narrow, the extra floor space you will have for caramelization.
- The within of the broccoli had loads of time to caramelize and turn out to be tender earlier than the florets darkened.
- The perfect dimension for broccoli florets was about 1 ½ to 2-inches large on the prime and 1/2 to three/4-inch thick. For comparability, most recipes name for florets which might be about 3/4 to 1-inch on the prime.
- The bigger items do take longer to roast, however the trade-off of a completely caramelized inside and crispy outdoors floret was effectively price it.
- ADDED BONUS: Greater items are faster to chop!
Add a Pinch of Sugar
I discovered this tip when testing Roasted Frozen Broccoli.
- A tiny pinch of sugar helps kickstart the caramelization course of (whether or not you’re making roasted broccoli from frozen or not).
- Don’t fear, it gained’t make the broccoli overly candy.
Don’t Skimp on the Oil
The tender, fuzzy “tree” suggestions of roasted broccoli florets are essentially the most scrumptious, however they’re additionally fast to burn.
- Make sure that the florets are well-coated with olive oil in order that they don’t burn.
Roast Broccoli at 425 levels F
After testing nearly each temperature, this one hit the candy spot.
- 425 levels F is sizzling sufficient in order that the broccoli crisps properly, however not so sizzling that it burns.
- 20 minutes into baking, flip the broccoli items over and rotate the pan 180 levels to advertise even browning.
Don’t Skip the Stems
Don’t throw away these broccoli stems.
- It’s not solely the broccoli crowns (florets) that make scrumptious consuming. Broccoli stems are scrumptious when roasted too.
- Whereas the outsides of the broccoli stems are bitter, the inside core is scrumptious. It rivals the florets.
- Merely lower away the surface of the stems, then slice the within a part of the core into items and roast it proper together with the florets.
- Broccoli. This lean, imply, inexperienced superfood machine is full of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin Okay, iron, and potassium. (Don’t miss these different top-rated broccoli recipes.)
- Additional-Virgin Olive Oil. Provides wholesome fat and permits the broccoli to crisp within the oven with out burning. No butter required.
- Salt & Pepper. Why mess with perfection? This easy, on a regular basis spice mix is all broccoli really must be seasoned excellent.
- Crimson Pepper Flakes. An elective addition that offers the roasted broccoli simply the fitting kick of warmth.
- Sugar. My secret to getting ready completely caramelized roasted broccoli with tender, crispy edges that style even higher than sweet. (In case you like your veggies with one thing candy, don’t miss my Baked Acorn Squash Slices.)
- Minimize away the outer layer of the broccoli stem and discard. Slice the inside portion into rectangular-shaped items.
- Minimize the crowns into massive, flat florets.
- Toss the broccoli items with oil, sugar, and spices.
- Organize the broccoli in an excellent layer on a baking sheet. Give them a number of room!
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 levels F. Flip the broccoli items, rotate the pan, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes till tender-crisp. ENJOY!
Like my equally versatile Roasted Broccolini, this straightforward roasted broccoli recipe is a wonderful place to start out, however has limitless alternatives for taste enhancements.
Listed below are just a few nice methods to taste roasted broccoli.
- Parmesan. Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese excessive of your completed broccoli.
- Lemon. Roasted broccoli with lemon is delicious! When your broccoli has completed roasting, add a squeeze of lemon juice excessive. A little bit of lemon zest by no means harm, both.
- Garlic. For roasted broccoli with garlic, add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder to the broccoli with the opposite spices or toss with peeled, smashed garlic cloves and roast as directed.
- Cheese. Within the ultimate couple of minutes of roasting, sprinkle grated cheese (cheddar could be tasty) excessive of the broccoli. It can soften into gooey perfection!
- Balsamic Glaze. Use a store-bought balsamic glaze, or make your personal by simmering balsamic vinegar on the stovetop till it reduces. Drizzle the glaze excessive of your roasted broccoli for a chic contact.
- Herbs. Attempt ending oven-roasted broccoli with finely chopped parsley, thyme, basil, or rosemary.
- Every part Roasted Broccoli. End off your roasted broccoli with an all the pieces bagel seasoning (like Dealer Joe’s Every part However the Bagel seasoning).
- Soy Sauce. Drizzle roasted broccoli with a little bit of soy sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. You possibly can additionally roast the broccoli in sesame oil somewhat than olive oil for extra Asian taste.
- Add Extra Veggies. Mix the broccoli with different greens that roast in an identical period of time for a colourful mixture of veggies (this Roasted Broccoli and Carrots is a favourite).
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover broccoli in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm broccoli on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F. I don’t suggest reheating roasted broccoli within the microwave, if potential, as it should turn out to be mushy.
What to Serve with Roasted Broccoli
View all recipes
Really useful Instruments to Make This Recipe
The Finest Baking Sheets
Excessive-quality baking sheets are must-have gadgets in each kitchen! They’re supreme for making roasted broccoli and potatoes.
Did you make this recipe?
Go away a score beneath within the feedback and let me know the way you favored the recipe.
Are roasted greens like broccoli part of your wholesome consuming routine? I’d love to listen to from you! Let me know what sorts of facet dishes you might be craving.
And in the event you do that roasted broccoli recipe, please remark beneath to let me know the way it got here out. Studying your suggestions is so essential to me and retains me going.
Often Requested Questions
Is Roasted Broccoli More healthy than Steamed?
Each roasting and steaming are wholesome methods to prepare dinner broccoli, so it simply is dependent upon which technique you like and usually tend to eat. Whereas boiling or steaming broccoli requires much less fats as a result of you do not want oil, I desire roasted broccoli for its scrumptious taste and crisp, caramelized texture.
Can I Prep Roasted Broccoli in Advance?
As much as 1 day prematurely, chop the broccoli as directed. Refrigerate it in an hermetic storage container till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
Can I Make Roasted Broccoli in an Air Fryer?
To make broccoli within the air fryer, take a look at my Air Fryer Broccoli recipe.
Can I Roast Frozen Broccoli?
No recent broccoli readily available? Don’t fear. You possibly can learn to make Roasted Frozen Broccoli on this submit.
- 1 massive head of broccoli about 1 3/4 kilos or 2 small broccoli crowns
- 2 1/2 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon floor black pepper
- Pinch crimson pepper flakes elective
- Toppings of selection: Parmesan balsamic glaze, or a squeeze of lemon
Place a rack within the heart of your oven (if baking the broccoli on one sheet pan) and preheat the oven to 425 levels F. For straightforward clean-up, line a big, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. (If you can be utilizing two sheet pans, place the racks within the higher and decrease thirds of the oven and line two baking sheets.)
Minimize the broccoli stalk away from the pinnacle with florets. Place the stem in your reducing board, and trim off the periphery alongside one among its lengthy sides (you need to lower away about 1/4 inch). Flip the lower facet down onto your reducing board and trim off the following facet. Repeat with the remaining two sides. You need to be left with a rectangular-shaped piece of the stem’s core (and it’s delish!). In case your remaining stem is massive, lower it into items which might be about 2 or 3 inches lengthy and 1/2-inch large. Place the lower items on the ready baking sheet. Discard the outer elements of the stem you chopped away.
Minimize the crowns into massive, flat florets. In case your crowns are small (about 3 or 4 inches in diameter), lower them into 8 wedges. If they’re bigger, lower them into 10 wedges. You need the florets to be roughly 1 1/2 to 2-inches large on the prime and 1/2 to three/4-inch or so thick. These might be a bit bigger than the florets you might be used to seeing, however TRUST ME, it really works. Add them to the sheet with the stems.
Drizzle the broccoli with the oil and sprinkle with the salt, sugar, and pepper. Toss to mix and evenly coat.
Unfold the broccoli into an excellent layer on the ready baking sheet, making certain that the items have loads of room for air to flow into. If the broccoli is crowded, divide it between two sheets. Flip the florets in order that the biggest lower facet is touching the pan.
Bake the broccoli for 20 minutes, then flip. Rotate the pan 180 levels and proceed baking for five to 10 further minutes, till it’s tender and the information of the florets are turning darkish and crispy (if baking on two sheet pans, swap the pans’ positions on the higher and decrease rack while you flip). Add any toppings of selection. Get pleasure from instantly.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover broccoli in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm broccoli on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 146kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 6gFats: 9gSaturated Fats: 1gPotassium: 624mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1229IUVitamin C: 176mgCalcium: 93mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Roasted Vegetable Facet Dishes
Roasted Candy Potatoes
Oven Roasted Potatoes
View all recipes