A sweet-and-savory mashup of juicy pineapple chunks and sharp cheese with a buttery, crunchy topping, Pineapple Casserole sounds weird however is totally scrumptious, particularly with turkey and ham!
The primary time somebody handed me pineapple casserole was the primary vacation I spent with my in-laws.
I used to be horrified.
Cheese and heat PINEAPPLE?! What was this abomination?
Already feeling homesick for our household’s conventional vacation recipes, like Glazed Candy Potatoes and Crockpot Mashed Potatoes, I used to be now going to should faux to love this absurd dish.
I took a tiny, toddler-sized chew, and…oh my heavens, pineapple casserole is great.
5 Star Evaluate
“We made this for Easter and it was a HUGE hit !! We additionally actually appreciated your video story !!This recipe is so yummy!”
— Laurie —
I later discovered that pineapple casserole is a conventional dish within the South (like Squash Casserole
I believed the mix of pineapple and cheese sounded too bizarre to be true, nevertheless it doesn’t simply work—it triumphs.
Heat pineapple and cheese create a surprisingly delicious pairing that goes extremely nicely with meat. (Assume pineapple glazed ham, Hawaiian pizza, or pairing apples with cheese).
Topped with buttery cracker crumbs, this pineapple dish tastes wealthy, frivolously candy and savory, and comforting.
In different phrases, it’s excellent for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and any upcoming vacation that offers you a motive to serve it (together with your favourite Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole maybe?).
This straightforward pineapple casserole can be SO EASY.
- You stir the filling in a single bowl, the topping in one other, then mix and bake.
- This casserole will be in your oven in about quarter-hour!
Tips on how to Make Pineapple Casserole
Conventional recipes name for a hefty quantity of sugar, a lot in order that they could make you surprise if pineapple casserole is a dessert or a facet dish.
Opting to make this a wholesome pineapple casserole (or healthy-ish), I favor so as to add crushed pineapple for its pure sweetness and a reasonable quantity of honey.
- Pineapple Chunks. Pineapple is nice and refreshing, and the chunks add texture to this casserole. With vitamin C and antioxidants, it’s the star of this wholesome pineapple casserole.
- Crushed Pineapple. Smaller, juicier variations of pineapple chunks make the filling lush and supply texture (like on this Pineapple Cheese Ball).
You may make pineapple casserole with recent pineapple. To make this swap, lower the recent pineapple, so it mimics each the canned pineapple chunks (not pineapple tidbits) and the crushed pineapple.
Personally, I don’t assume it’s value to make use of recent (save your recent pineapple for Pineapple Shrimp Kabobs), however be happy to go for it if you happen to’re feeling formidable or have tons of additional pineapple.
- Honey. Naturally sweetens the casserole together with the pineapple.
- Flour. Helps thicken the filling.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese. I discover sharp cheddar to be the perfect cheese for pineapple casserole. It provides loads of taste and punch to distinction the sweetness of the pineapple. Plus, it melts like a dream.
- Cracker Breadcrumb Topping. Buttery spherical crackers (like Ritz crackers) and panko breadcrumbs are combined with melted butter and pineapple juice for a topping that’s candy, buttery, and crisp.
For pineapple casserole with out Ritz crackers, omit the crackers and use further panko. In the event you favor a crisp, chunky topping, strive making pineapple casserole with small, pretty dry bread cubes as a substitute (I’d additionally improve the butter and pineapple juice a bit, because the bread will take in extra moisture).
- Stir the drained pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple, and honey collectively.
- Add the flour and a part of the cheese to the massive bowl.
- Stir the pineapple combination.
- Switch the filling to a baking dish and high with the remaining cheese.
- Stir the crumb topping substances collectively, then sprinkle it over the filling.
- Bake pineapple casserole at 350 levels F for 35 minutes. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate baked pineapple casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftover pineapple casserole in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
Meal Prep Tip
- As much as 1 week prematurely, crush the crackers and retailer them in an hermetic storage container or ziptop bag.
- As much as 1 day prematurely, put together the casserole filling and switch it to the baking dish. Cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it. If you’re prepared to complete the recipe, take away the baking dish from the fridge, add the topping combination, and bake as directed.
- You can also totally bake this recipe 1 day prematurely. Refrigerate, then reheat, lined, in a 350-degree F. oven.
What to Serve with Pineapple Casserole
View all recipes
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Baking Dish
A phenomenal, high-quality baking dish will enable you to make scrumptious casseroles or desserts. It should final a lifetime!
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a ranking beneath within the feedback and let me know the way you appreciated the recipe.
I lately made southern pineapple casserole to associate with Crockpot Ribs at a celebration. My buddies had been skeptical, then delighted as soon as they tried it.
Take one chew, and pineapple casserole will make a believer out of you too!
Steadily Requested Questions
Can I Add Cream Cheese?
Whereas I haven’t tried it myself, you possibly can strive making this right into a pineapple casserole with 4 ounces of cream cheese. Cube the cream cheese into small items and stir it in with the pineapple. Solely use half of the cheddar.
How Can I Make this Recipe Gluten Free?
For gluten free pineapple casserole, use gluten free crackers, breadcrumbs, and a 1:1 gluten free baking flour as a substitute of all-purpose flour.
The place Did Pineapple Casserole Originate?
Whereas no one is aware of precisely who made the primary pineapple casserole, the dish probably first got here into existence within the southern United States the place it stays hottest at present. The dish’s creation was probably spurred by the brand new, widespread availability of comfort meals like canned fruit, packaged crackers, and canned soups that took place within the Nineteen Fifties.
Pineapple Casserole Video
In the event you get pleasure from this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. You’ll want to click on the BELL icon so that you will be the primary to know after we publish a brand new video (and thanks for subscribing!).
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice drained (reserve 2 tablespoons juice for the topping)
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple in 100% pineapple juice drained
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces freshly grated shredded sharp cheddar cheese about 1 1/2 cups, divided
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 20 buttery spherical crackers crushed, corresponding to Ritz (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs or further crushed crackers
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved from one of many cans above
- TO MAKE AHEAD: As much as 1 week prematurely, crush the crackers and retailer them in an hermetic storage container or ziptop bag. As much as 1 day prematurely, put together the casserole filling and switch it to the baking dish. Cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it. If you’re prepared to complete the recipe, take away the baking dish from the fridge, add the topping combination, and bake as directed.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate casserole in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze casserole in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating. The feel of the casserole will change as soon as thawed, however it’ll nonetheless style scrumptious.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 275kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 6gFats: 14gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 36mgPotassium: 182mgFiber: 2gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 437IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 156mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Extra Simple Vacation Sides
View all recipes