Let’s flash again to round 2012 after I was off making an attempt to excellent the best possible chocolate chip cookie. I used to be dwelling in Washington D.C. on the time and my total world exterior of labor included baking my coronary heart out. It took me months and months to search out an correct and scrumptious ratio between butter (it needed to be browned), brown sugar (a better ratio than white sugar) and naturally, chocolate (two kinds of chips!)
I used to be bored with making selfmade chocolate chip cookies that had been overly crispy and flat, just like the Tollhouse model that’s boring as hell. What I wished was a chewy within the center, delectable, melt-in-your-mouth heart that despatched me to heaven in only one chew. Nonetheless, I additionally desired a barely crispy edge that may maintain collectively nicely upon dunking into an enormous glass of milk. You’re feeling me? Cookie perfection ain’t simple, folks.
Effectively, it’s been over 10 years since I created these brown butter chocolate chip cookies, and so they’re nonetheless #1 on the web and in everybody’s hearts. They’re really my without end favourite, particularly if you wish to get a bit wild and stuff them with nutella.
FREE Final Information to Cookie Baking
Join under and get a FREE printable e-book with my finest ideas & tips for baking excellent cookies each time!
The BEST cookies you’ll ever eat
These brown butter chocolate chip cookies aren’t simply epic, but in addition life-changing. A number of of my pals have baked them time and time once more, solely to inform me that they’ll by no means make one other chocolate chip cookie recipe just because this one is the perfect. In the event you look again by way of the outdated publish, you’ll see that these cookies obtain rave opinions. So principally what I’m saying is that I do know you’ll love my go-to chocolate chip cookie too.
The magic of brown butter
The important thing ingredient right here is, in fact, brown butter! In the event you’ve by no means browned butter earlier than you must know that it’s really easy and makes the whole lot SO way more scrumptious. Get all of my ideas & tips for browning butter right here, and take a look at all of my recipes utilizing brown butter right here! Get able to fall in love.
Let’s speak substances
What makes these brown butter chocolate chip cookies so particular? There are just a few key ingredient ratios that actually make them one-of-a-kind. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Flour: this recipe makes use of good outdated all objective flour to get the right texture. I do NOT suggest swapping flours right here.
- Brown butter: the brown butter is what actually makes them so distinctive. The flavour profile is nutty, candy, toasty and paying homage to a caramel hazelnut taste.
- Sugar: as an alternative of doing a half-and-half ratio of normal granulated white sugar and brown sugar, I do largely brown sugar and solely a little bit of white sugar. The brown sugar helps to maintain the cookies softer and chewier within the center, but nonetheless permits for crispy, scrumptious edges. Usually I select darkish brown sugar as a result of it has a tiny bit extra molasses within the flavoring, which once more, helps to realize an out-of-this-world cookie. Don’t fear although, gentle brown sugar additionally works.
- Egg + egg yolk: this recipe requires 1 egg + an extra 1 egg yolk, which makes all of the distinction in making a wealthy texture and the right consistency. Simply belief me.
- Greek yogurt: it sounds loopy, however a tiny little bit of yogurt helps activate the baking soda so that you get moist, beautiful dough and superb, crinkly tops. In the event you’re out of greek yogurt, strive bitter cream.
- Chocolate chips: one other factor that makes this recipe distinctive is the TWO kinds of chocolate chips, milk chocolate and semi-sweet. It actually simply creates extra taste profiles. In the event you like darkish chocolate, then you are able to do that and semi-sweet. Completely as much as you.
- Baking staples: in fact, don’t overlook the baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract. Learn to make your individual vanilla right here! I additionally wish to sprinkle the cookies with fancy sea salt after baking.
Can I make them gluten free?
Sadly, I can not suggest an excellent gluten free substitute that can yield the identical superb cookies. Be happy to check out any of my gluten free cookies right here.
Ideas for making excellent brown butter chocolate chip cookies
With these easy ideas & tips you’ll make the best possible cookies each time:
- Don’t use substitutes. Except I present swaps (like bitter cream for the greek yogurt) don’t substitute different substances because the cookies is not going to end up the identical.
- Use room temp substances. After browning your butter, make sure that it’s cool sufficient to the touch earlier than including it to your dough. I often set it apart to chill for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than making the recipe. Additionally, make sure to scrape each little bit of brown butter out of your pan. You’ll wish to make sure that your eggs are at room temp, too, in order that they don’t coagulate with the butter. Merely run the eggs underneath heat water for a couple of minute or place them in a bowl of heat water for a couple of minutes.
- Measure your flour appropriately. Have you learnt one of the best ways to measure flour with out a scale? Get my ideas & tips in this video!
- Chill the dough. Sure, this recipe requires you to sit back the dough, however I promise it’s value it. Chilling cookie dough permits the cookies to create a easy caramel taste, with crispy brown edges, a chewy inside and crackly tops. This occurs as a result of the fats within the recipe (butter) is stable and the sugar additionally absorbs a few of it. Belief me, it’s a game-changer.
Easy methods to freeze cookie dough
Freezing cookie dough is fantastic as a result of it lets you prep forward when you may have company or are throwing a celebration. I LOVE freezing additional cookie dough as a result of that method I can pop them within the oven each time I need and it’s nice once you wish to convey one thing to a celebration or to a beloved one’s home, however don’t really feel like having a baking extravaganza. Right here’s find out how to do it.
- After the dough is completed chilling within the fridge for no less than half-hour, roll the cookie dough into balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill the dough within the freezer for half-hour. This is named a flash freeze.
- As soon as the cookie dough balls agency up, you possibly can switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container. Cookie dough will hold nicely for as much as 3 months.
- When able to bake, merely bake cookies as directed within the recipe. You’ll seemingly simply want so as to add just a few additional minutes of baking time!
Watch me make brown butter chocolate chip cookies
Freeze baked cookies for later
If you wish to freeze the already baked cookies for later, merely watch for them to chill fully, then switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container lined with wax or parchment paper. I like to put them in a single layer to keep away from any cookies breaking. Cookies will hold nicely for as much as 2 months. As soon as able to eat, merely thaw out at room temperature and revel in.
Extra cookie recipes you’ll love
Get all of my cookie recipes right here!
I hope you take pleasure in these brown butter chocolate chip cookies as a lot as I really like baking them. In the event you make them make sure to go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you favored them! Get pleasure from, xo!
The Finest Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies You may Ever Eat
Prep Time 2 hours 20 minutes
Whole Time 2 hours 30 minutes
World well-known brown butter chocolate chip cookies made with darkish brown sugar, two kinds of chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt. These epic cookies are completely crispy on the surface, chewy within the center, and are, actually, the BEST cookies you’ll ever eat.
unsalted butter (2 sticks)
packed darkish brown sugar
giant egg + 1 further egg yolk, at room temperature
plain greek yogurt
semi-sweet chocolate chips
milk chocolate chips (or sub darkish chocolate chips)
- Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling on prime
First, brown your butter: add butter to a big saucepan and place over medium warmth. The butter will start to crackle, after which finally foam. Be sure you whisk always throughout this course of. After a few minutes, the butter will start to brown and switch a pleasant golden amber shade on the underside of the saucepan. Proceed to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma. Instantly switch the butter to a medium bowl to stop burning. Put aside to chill for 10 minutes or till cool sufficient to the touch.
With an electrical mixer, combine the brown butter and sugars till nicely mixed, about 1 minute. Beat within the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and yogurt till mixed.
In a separate giant bowl, whisk collectively the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry substances to the moist substances and beat on low-speed simply till mixed. Add each chocolate chips and blend on low velocity till simply included into the dough.
Chill your dough for two hours within the fridge, or as much as 12-24 hours. Don’t attempt to velocity up this course of. The dough wants to sit back with a view to be excellent.
Useful tip: If you wish to make it simpler to bake the cookies, I recommend rolling them into balls BEFORE chilling the dough. That method you possibly can merely place them on the ready baking sheet and bake! As much as you. I often put my dough within the fridge for 10 minutes, then I take it out roll them into balls, place on a plate or baking sheet and place within the fridge for one more hour or two.
As soon as dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 levels F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You may have to take out the dough and thaw it out a bit earlier than measuring the dough whether it is tremendous arduous and also you didn’t already roll the cookie dough into balls. This could take about 20 minutes. As soon as able to bake, measure 2 heaping tablespoons of the dough or use a medium cookie scoop. It does not need to be completely rolled. Place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches aside.
Bake the cookies 9/11 minutes or till the sides of the cookies start to show golden brown. They may look a bit underdone within the center, however will proceed to prepare dinner as soon as out of the oven.
Cool the cookies on the sheets for five minutes to permit them to arrange, then sprinkle every cookie with sea salt. Take away the cooled cookies from the baking sheets and switch to a wire rack to chill fully. Makes 24-36 cookies.
See the total publish for ideas, tips, freezing directions, and extra!
Recipe by Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen| Pictures by Sarah Fennel
This publish was initially revealed on October nineteenth, 2016, republished on November thirtieth, 2019, and republished on December 4th, 2022.