This wholesome Corn Casserole from scratch is made in a jiffy…and doesn’t even use Jiffy!
Everyone knows and love the traditional corn casserole recipe from the 60s that makes use of boxed Jiffy cornbread combine.
I’m not knocking it—it’s nostalgic and scrumptious.
Thus, it’s with the utmost respect that I do declare: this recipe is SO significantly better.
With every chunk, candy corn kernels pop towards the creamy, tacky cornbread-y filling.
Nothing beats selfmade!
Similar to my Wholesome Inexperienced Bean Casserole and Pineapple Casserole, “from scratch” doesn’t must imply sophisticated.
This recipe is as straightforward as it’s delicious.
Some wholesome swaps are constructed from the standard recipe to lighten it up however preserve it extremely moist, like Greek yogurt as a substitute of bitter cream.
I additionally added chives and thyme to jazz up the flavour.
Whereas corn casserole is likely to be considered a Southern factor, or a required dish on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter, it’s so tasty it needs to be loved wherever and anytime.
The way to Make Corn Casserole From Scratch
Easy components shortly whisked collectively create this straightforward corn casserole recipe.
Corn casserole freezes effectively and might be prepped forward of time too!
- Butter. That is the vacations in spite of everything. I didn’t go full Paula Dean and have referred to as for much less quantity from the usual recipe. I promise it’s nonetheless PLENTY wealthy.
- Cornmeal. Combined with flour, that is the cornbread essence of the casserole base.
- Contemporary Herbs. Thyme pairs properly with the corn and cheese to deliver a heat to the dish. You may additionally high with chopped chives or inexperienced onions.
Go along with contemporary herbs on this case. It makes a distinction on this easy recipe.
- Honey. A number of tablespoons deliver out the sweetness of the corn.
- Corn. Canned entire kernel corn is completely okay right here!
Be sure that to totally drain your canned corn for corn casserole to stop the casserole from being runny.
- Creamed Corn. I additionally used canned creamed corn for a shortcut that doesn’t shortchange the dish one bit.
I don’t suggest substituting creamed corn for anything because it provides to the important creaminess of the dish. In the event you use different corn, the casserole will style dry.
What’s Creamed Corn?
- Half of the contemporary corn kernels are pureed, and the opposite half are left entire, after which they’re blended collectively to create creamed corn.
- Creamed corn is NOT the identical because the “cream of…” soups which are so generally utilized in Southern casserole dishes.
- Canned cream corn doesn’t even have any cream in it.
- Eggs. The binder for the casserole.
- Greek Yogurt. Full-fat Greek yogurt is used instead of bitter cream. It makes the dish wealthy and creamy and provides protein. Rating!
- Cheese. Go along with sharp cheddar so the cheese stands out from the corn.
A professional cooking tip I all the time give is “shred your cheese!” Bagged, pre-shredded cheese is a pleasant shortcut; nevertheless, it has powdery coating to maintain it from sticking collectively within the bag, making it not soften as effectively or be as tasty.
- Soften the butter. Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Whisk collectively the dry components.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, honey, corn, creamed corn, Greek yogurt, and melted butter.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese and chives.
- Add dry components to the combination and stir.
- Pour into baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake corn casserole at till set and golden brown, after which let relaxation. ENJOY!
What to Serve with Corn Casserole
View all recipes
- To Retailer. Let the corn casserole come to room temperature, and place in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in oven at 350 levels F till warmed by way of, or rewarm gently within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Corn casserole freezes effectively! To freeze complete casserole, double wrap with plastic wrap after which foil. Or freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe, hermetic container. Let thaw in a single day in fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Corn casserole might be made upfront! You possibly can totally bake and rewarm it, or refrigerate with out baking and bake the day of.
- Unbaked. Put together the casserole the day previous to baking. Wrap casserole dish tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Thirty minutes previous to baking, let sit on counter to come back to room temperature, after which bake based on instructions.
- Pre-Baked. After baking, let casserole cool utterly. Tightly wrap casserole dish, and retailer in fridge as much as 2 days earlier than serving. Rewarm in oven at 350 levels F.
Corn casserole makes nice leftovers. You possibly can serve it with any of your vacation leftovers after all, or rework it right into a BBQ meal with Crockpot BBQ Hen and Straightforward Baked Beans or Immediate Pot Black Beans. Rewarm corn casserole and high with the shredded BBQ hen, then serve with facet of the beans.
What to Serve with Corn Casserole
Corn casserole is so good it needs to be served extra occasions a 12 months than simply the vacations. Attempt it along with your summer season BBQs, grill outs, or as an add on to a easy sheet pan supper.
View all recipes
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
Excessive-High quality Baking Dish
Not solely will this baking dish final a lifetime, however it’s so lovely you’ll be able to place it proper on the desk for serving. Which colour would you choose?
Did you make this recipe?
Depart a ranking under within the feedback and let me know the way you appreciated the recipe.
Embrace the casserole and know you CAN cook dinner from scratch with this straightforward, tacky corn casserole recipe!
Continuously Requested Questions
Is Corn Casserole a Southern Dish?
Sure. Whereas cornbread attracts its roots from the Native People, the South prides itself on its corn casserole.
What’s the Distinction Between Corn Casserole and Corn Pudding?
Corn pudding and corn casserole are comparable dishes. Corn pudding is creamier and extra custard-like in texture than corn casserole.
Do You Eat Corn Casserole Scorching or Chilly?
Scorching! Corn casserole is finest proper out of the oven (yum), but additionally reheats superbly.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks )
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped contemporary thyme
- 3 giant eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cans entire kernel corn drained (15 ounces)
- 2 can creamed corn (15 ounces)
- 2 cups full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 cup), divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives non-obligatory
In a medium, microwave-safe bowl within the microwave or in small saucepan on the range, soften the butter. Put aside to chill to room temperature. Place a rack within the heart of the oven and preheat to 350 levels F. Evenly coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, pepper, and thyme.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, honey, drained entire kernel corn, creamed corn, Greek yogurt, and melted, cooled butter. Stir in 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese and the chives.
Add the dry components to the moist components and with a rubber spatula or wood spoon, stir gently simply till the flour disappears.
Pour batter into the ready baking dish and unfold it into a good layer. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup cheese evenly excessive .
Bake the corn casserole for 50 minutes. Enhance the oven temperature to 400 levels F and proceed baking till the cheese is a beautiful golden brown, about 5 to eight minutes extra. Let relaxation 10 minutes previous to serving.
- TO STORE: Let the corn casserole come to room temperature, and place in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in oven at 350 levels F till warmed by way of, or rewarm gently within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: To freeze complete casserole, double wrap with plastic wrap after which foil. Or freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe, hermetic container. Let thaw in a single day in fridge earlier than reheating.
Energy: 243kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 8gFats: 13gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0.4gLdl cholesterol: 62mgPotassium: 251mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 473IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 113mgIron: 1mg
Be a part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Different Casserole Sides
View all recipes