This vegan vodka sauce is wealthy, creamy and tremendous straightforward to make with simply 9 easy components. Excellent over pasta, you’d by no means guess this decadent sauce was dairy-free!
Once I was in faculty I waited tables at a spot the place the servers acquired a free meal for each shift we labored, and I in a short time grew to become hooked on the penne alla vodka. It was bizarre to me as a result of I could not stand the style of vodka by itself (nonetheless cannot!).
However now I do know higher. I’ve since realized that vodka is just about simply alcohol and water, and the alcohol evaporates if you make vodka sauce. So is vodka sauce actually simply water sauce? Sure…however no.
I additionally realized that when the alcohol evaporates it interacts with the tomatoes in a method that enhances their flavors and makes them tastier. That is about as scientific as I can get right here, however belief me, vodka provides the sauce an exquisite depth of taste.
With that information in hand I took to making a dairy-free model of my previous favourite, swapping out the usually used butter for olive oil and heavy cream for cashew cream. My vegan vodka sauce turned out far more scrumptious than any of the free dinners I acquired again once I was in faculty!
Elements You will Want
- Cashews. We’re utilizing blended up uncooked cashews because the dairy-free base for our vegan vodka sauce. They have to be uncooked (not roasted) to ensure that the recipe to work, and we’ll be soaking them in water for a number of hours so that they mix up easily.
- Olive oil. Vegan butter may be used.
- Canned diced tomatoes.
- Canned crushed tomatoes. If you cannot discover these you would use one other can of diced tomatoes and briefly blitz them within the blender.
- Vodka. Use a good high quality vodka right here. It would not must be high shelf, however when you use a budget stuff you may style it. I like Smirnoff and Absolut for cooking.
- Salt & pepper.
Assuming you are making vegan pasta alla vodka with this sauce, you may additionally wish to add some dried pasta to your procuring checklist. I wish to make vegan penne alla vodka, however any number of pasta works! Vodka sauce additionally goes nice with some recent basil.
Contemporary basil, pink pepper flakes, and vegan Parmesan cheese are additionally nice accompaniments, however not strictly required.
How It is Made
The next is an in depth picture tutorial on make this dish. Scroll all the best way down if you would like to skip proper to the recipe!
- Drian and rinse your soaked cashews, then place them right into a blender or meals processor with some water.
- Mix till easy.
Tip: Did you neglect to soak your cashews? Strive boiling them for 20 minutes as a substitute. And for future reference, hold a stash of frozen soaked cashews available, so that you by no means have to fret about forgetting! Simply soak then freeze them proper within the soaking water. If you’re prepared to make use of them, thaw, drain, rinse, and use like regular.
- Warmth your olive oil in a big pot, then add diced onion. Prepare dinner the onion for a couple of minutes, stirring it continually till it begins to melt up.
- Add minced garlic and cook dinner it with the onion briefly. Hold stirring to stop your garlic from burning.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and vodka. Stir the whole lot up and convey the sauce to a simmer.
- Let the sauce proceed to simmer till it thickens up a bit and all of the alcohol cooks off.
Tip: You will have to taste-test the sauce to verify the alcohol has all evaporated. If it is nonetheless in there the sauce will style humorous.
- Pour the cashew cream combination into the sauce, stir it up and let it simmer only a few minutes extra.
- Take the pot off of warmth and season your vegan vodka sauce with salt and pepper.
- Toss the sauce along with your favourite cooked pasta and revel in! I wish to serve mine with some recent basil, pink pepper flakes and a sprinkle of vegan Parmesan cheese.
Tip: This recipe makes a giant batch of sauce, as a result of I discover most mixing gadgets do not work nicely with lower than a cup of cashews. I do not suggest reducing down on the batch measurement until you are utilizing one thing small like a mini meals processor.
Leftovers & Storage
Leftover vegan vodka sauce will hold in an hermetic container within the fridge for about 4 days, or within the freezer for about 3 months.
If you happen to’ve already added your sauce to pasta you possibly can retailer the leftovers within the fridge for about 3 days in a sealed container. It’s possible you’ll discover the sauce thickens a bit throughout storage, because the pasta sucks up moisture. Add a splash of water throughout reheating if wanted.
Continuously Requested Questions
Is that this recipe gluten-free?
The sauce itself is gluten-free. Simply make sure to serve it with gluten-free pasta.
Is there an alternative to cashews?
Coconut cream may work, although I have never tried it. You should purchase canned coconut cream within the worldwide aisle on the retailer. If you cannot discover it, purchase canned coconut milk, chill it within the fridge in a single day, and simply use the strong portion as soon as it separates.
Can I omit the vodka?
You’ll be able to completely omit the vodka if wanted. The flavour of the sauce shall be a lot milder and a bit sweeter. And, clearly, it will not be vodka sauce anymore!
Extra Creamy Vegan Pasta Recipes
Like this recipe? In that case, please cease again and depart me a assessment and score beneath when you attempt it! Additionally make sure to comply with me on Fb, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my publication for extra recipes like this one!
Vegan Vodka Sauce
This vegan vodka sauce is wealthy, creamy and tremendous straightforward to make with only a handful of components. Excellent over pasta, you’d by no means guess this decadent sauce was dairy-free!
soaked in water 4-8 hours
(28 ounce or 794 gram)
can crushed tomatoes
(28 ounce or 794 gram)
can diced tomatoes
or to style
Drain and rinse the cashews, then place them into the bowl of a meals processor or the pitcher of blender with 1 cup of water. Mix till easy, stopping to scrape down the edges of the pitcher or bowl as wanted.
Warmth the oil in a big pot over medium warmth. When the oil is sizzling, add the onion. Sweat the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring incessantly, till comfortable and translucent.
Add the garlic to the pot and sauté it with the onion for one more minute, till very aromatic.
Stir within the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes after which the vodka. Deliver the combination to a simmer and cut back the warmth to-medium low. Proceed simmering the sauce for 20 to 25 minutes, till the sauce thickens a bit and the alcohol has cooked off (Observe 2).
Stir the cashew combination into sauce and convey it again to a simmer, only for a minute, till heated all through.
Take away the pot from warmth and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Serve over pasta of selection and optionally garnish with pink pepper flakes, recent basil and/or vegan Parmesan cheese.
- This recipe makes about 8 cups of sauce, which is sufficient to generously gown a pound of pasta.
- One of the simplest ways to inform if you’ve reached this level is by taste-testing the sauce.
Vegan Vodka Sauce
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 105
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2.1g11%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.